WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles

Finally got a hammock, now what!

Been a while, last weekend I strolled into an outdoor shop and walked out with an ENO Doublenest and bug screen. Shop was blowing out all gear for the winter, and I bought both for $100.00.

My plan was to get either a Dream or Warbonnet, but the deal seemed pretty good not to pass up and I can learn the basics, and plan on either of the above later.

The shop had neither suspension nor tarps. I've spent last few days reading, looking and researching what I need and I'm as confused as ever!

Been reading Derricks site and of course here. So I'll start with suspension.

Are the ENO 'biners "good enough"?

Straps - been looking at the ENO Atlas and Kammock Pythons. I like the Pythons as they are a little longer. But the Atlas seems more popular.

Tarps - Here is my confusion, I read somewhere a minimum length of 11 foot . Most I've seen, I believe, are at 10' and some change. I liked the ENO Profly for the simplicity and coverage for me being a beginning hanger.

I also am trying to keep cost down, as a beginner will most likely make changes in gear.

I thought about something from these guys :http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/index.php

Ridgelines - if I can just get direction to threads on this, I'll start the learning process.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Why type of camping will you be doing?

Suspension: My preference is whoopie slings with tree straps - using a marlin spike hitch. It you're up for learning, it's probably the lighter set up out there, but has a learning curve.

Tarp: ENO tarps are generally overpriced. If you're looking for lighter weight you'll want a sil nylon tarp instead of a PU coated tarp. Look at the Warbonnet Edge. It's the same length, but 2 ft wider than the ProFly (more coverage), for about $5 more. And it's sil so it's at least half the weight.

If you really want to keep cost down, look into DIY. Hammocks and suspension are about a wash, but you can save a lot with DIY tarps and quilts and stuff. And if something breaks in the field, you can fix it when you get home.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Welcome off the ground.

Keep reading and keep asking questions!

The Eno biners should go, as should the rest of the non-existent suspension. Go with whoopie slings, or cinch buckles, with Non-Nylon, "Polyester" straps. Better yet, talk to Dutchware, AHE, BIAS, or any of the other HF cottage vendors, and have them set you up.

An adjustable RL would be nice if you can make or afford one.(See same sources above)

If not buy some Lashit or Zingit, and make a fixed one. Go with 83% of the length of the hammock, for starters.

Saw my first Pro-Fly up close at the Hoosier Hang and month ago, and it looked fine to me, and would make a nice, if not slightly heavy matched set. There are better, lighter, options out there for only a bit more money. Tarps are not the place to look to save money. Were it me, I would either go with a very cheap WW or Harbor Freight tarp, until you have $110-140 dollars to drop, then get a good light weight Silnylon tarp.

Good luck!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    If ultralight is not the thing that you are after right away, then here are what I think are the easiest/cheapest options that I have used:

SUSPENSION: I love the strap and cinch buckle suspension. Not the lightest, but the easiest suspension I've used. If you don't feel comfortable with DIY yet, you can order a full setup from Dutch for just a little over $20. If you want to do DIY, then I would suggest Readystrap for the straps and buckles and then get your Amsteel from Dutch. You'll save a few bucks doing DIY, but not a huge amount, so it's really personal preference.

TARP: A polypropylene tarp from any big box store would be sufficient. I used an 8x10 tarp from Wal-Mart that cost $12 and provided ample coverage for my hammock. It's bulky and heavy, but easy to get a hold of and the cheapest option available.

I hope this helps. Being a fairly new hanger myself, I know what has worked for me so far.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The answer to your question is, beef up your PayPal account.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The answer to your question is, beef up your PayPal account.
    ^^^ What he said.

The previous posts are pretty darn accurate too. All of my suspension stuff has been through the DIY path, and it wasn't tough at all.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Clarke NX-250
    Tarp
    Clarke Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Tree Strap/rings
    In my opinion dont use the Eno straps they seem to stretch or slide down the tree. (but now im slightly heavier also) I use woopie slings and webbing with hooks sewn in.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    ppfd - Click on "Forums" up at the top of the page. Then choose Suspensions, Ridgelines & Bugnets, grab a tall cold drink and read on....
    For straps, make sure to get polyester at least 1" wide.
    You can get that at just about any homedepot, walmart, auto parts store, etc. Often it is sold as tie-down straps, sometimes with a winch buckle. Take the winch buckle off and there you have straps.

Get some Amsteel 7/64". Look at Samson Rope home page for some splicing instruction and also on our Suspensions, Ridgelines & Bugnets. Play around making whoopie slings, fixed-eye loops, continuous loops, nacrabiners, etc. It takes a few tries, but it is fun and easy when you get the hang of it.

Any old tarp will do if you are not hiking. Go out in the back yard, or a local park, and set up and take down a few times. Try different ways of doing things. OES makes some very nice tarps and folks here will give you more info about the pros and cons of various styles, materials, and mfrs. Just ask. No one around here thinks they have all the answers and pretty much everyone will chip in some comment about what they have experienced.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    On my ENO double nest I use Whoopies with the Marlin Spike and Dutch Clips. On my Warbonnet everything is stock except the use of Dutch Clips, them things are great.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome back to the forum. I see you were here a long time ago.

I too have a very little, if at all, budget. I'm ~200lbs and use inexpensive and "dangerously" weak straps. I get mine from Walmart sporting section. 2 x 12' cargo straps(1 inch) with buckle for $6. Remove the buckle, cut strap in half and sew a loop at the ends. It gives me 4 x 6' straps. Had mine for 3 or so years with no problems.

For the MSH toggle, I use the aluminum peg from a small windchime. Love free.

I use amsteel whoopies and zing-it ridgeline. DIY tarp and bugnet with material from Walmart. And guy lines are braided mason's line.

Overall very inexpensive. Good luck to you and show us pics.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast