Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

This underquilt is too cold!

Does anyone out there use a half underquilt during the winter seasons? I find that my calf's and feet basically freeze to death and this causes me to be cold all night. What would be the purpose of using this type of quilt in the winter. I have to use a pad as well when I am using it and usually put my winter coat down there too.

Just curious...

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY

This underquilt is too cold!

As a booster to the full quilt you need to get for winter?

Images
    Well they are indeed designed for use with a short pad under legs and feet if temps are very cold at all, otherwise your feet are going to freeze. I think the original idea was that most winter campers will have a pad or a pack with a pad frame with them anyway, so the gram counters might like that approach. It saves considerable weight, bulk and cost if you have a pad anyway. Another part of the idea is that often full length UQs, if you are sleeping on the diagonal with feet right, might fall away towards the left, so sometimes some folks need a pad anyway.

My son on his 1st ever hammock sleep used a Climashield Yeti in the 20s and was toasty. As we know, the very 1st use of an UQ does not always go all that well. I believe Cannibal has taken a winter Yeti to below minus 20F no problem, and I think Shug uses short UQs also. But, there are some folks who report they keep warmer feet with a full length UQ, so it varies.

Clear something up for me: were you trying to winter camp with a short UQ without a leg pad? Oh, and which quilt was it?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-14-2013 at 09:33.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I use a winter yeti and a zero degree TQ and have been good so far, and like others i have a pad under my legs.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    I wasn't "Winter Camping" yet but it is getting cold and I tried it without a pad and just my coat at the end. It was freezing. I have used it with a pad as well but I wanted to avoid bring the sleeping pad as I have a pretty big one and cant afford a light weight right now.

I was using the Enlightened Equipment 0 degree quilt. Great product, really warm. I guess my only option is padding it up.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    They put it well on their website (Enlightened Equipment)

The Revolt is sized to provide coverage from shoulder to knee and should be used in conjunction with a foam pad under the feet and a small pillow under the head. We feel this TORSO only coverage best balances weight, warmth and simplicity to keep you warm where you need it while minimizing the extra weight often associated with hammock camping.

I guess I just need a smaller pad Good thing it is almost Christmas.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It would also be a mistake to blow a lot of money on a pad. All you want is a piece of CCF. It will also double as a sit pad you will want in cold weather.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    You can use a sit pad to supplement the 3/4 length UQ if you don't want to use a full sized pad.

I cut mine from a blue CCF pad from walmart. Cost $15 which is not very spendy. It was the 20" CCF version with waffles. I cut mine 20" x 15" and I still have a torso size pad, or a bunch more sit pads, if need be.

I have had the 3/4 length Jarbidge UQ (rated 30*) + Sit pad + 35* sleeping bag in the mid 20's a couple times now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    I wasn't "Winter Camping" yet but it is getting cold and I tried it without a pad and just my coat at the end. It was freezing.
    Well as you already know, that will never work unless it is pretty warm, as per design. Most people seem to need a lot less under their legs and feet than butt and torso, but you got to have something once it starts getting good and cold, and the colder it gets the thicker the pad will have to be. But, some have taken some thin leg pads to some really cold temps.

I have used it with a pad as well but I wanted to avoid bring the sleeping pad as I have a pretty big one and cant afford a light weight right now.

I was using the Enlightened Equipment 0 degree quilt. Great product, really warm. I guess my only option is padding it up.
    It shouldn't be more than 3-8 0z, and won't you need some sort of sit pad anyway? Is there a pad in your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    They put it well on their website (Enlightened Equipment)

The Revolt is sized to provide coverage from shoulder to knee and should be used in conjunction with a foam pad under the feet and a small pillow under the head. We feel this TORSO only coverage best balances weight, warmth and simplicity to keep you warm where you need it while minimizing the extra weight often associated with hammock camping.
    I guess I just need a smaller pad Good thing it is almost Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    You can use a sit pad to supplement the 3/4 length UQ if you don't want to use a full sized pad.

I cut mine from a blue CCF pad from walmart. Cost $15 which is not very spendy. It was the 20" CCF version with waffles. I cut mine 20" x 15" and I still have a torso size pad, or a bunch more sit pads, if need be.

I have had the 3/4 length Jarbidge UQ (rated 30*) + Sit pad + 35* sleeping bag in the mid 20's a couple times now.
    Just what I was going to say. Go to WM or the equiv and get a cheap pad and cut it to size. You can get better pads that are warmer for the weight, but that one is quick, easy and cheap, and will probably take your legs way lower than where you have been so far.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    If you don't have a desire to cut some ccf down, this one looks pretty good for what you need. Scroll down until you see "Partial length foot pad."

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast