Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best UL hammock

Images
    in my experience, 1.1 ripstop is extremely stretchy, i wouldn't recommend a single layer to anyone over 150. the 1.7 taffeta i have stretches alot less. i have seen 1.1 from several manufactuers and they are all extremely stretchy fabric, don't know how that would work in a bridge, but i like a little more support in an end gathered hammock

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Drewboy, just a FYI - the 1.1 in my bridge is a personal taste, i dont do that commercially. Brandon tells it well.
    im light at 132-135 depending on the Mt. House I had for dinner.
    the GT traveller is uncoated, "parachute" polyester is what I think he called it. Not sure the weight but its light and doesnt stretch too much. They claim its good for 250#'s

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    My new BB is a custom double layer, outer layer camo 1.1 with an inner layer of 10mm Habitoi silk, dyed green. I don't know what a regular 1.1 BB weighs (just re-read the first post, 2 lbs,) but mine is 26.6 oz with treestraps. Not the lightest, but a very, very comfortable hammock.

Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    My new BB is a custom double layer, outer layer camo 1.1 with an inner layer of 10mm Habitoi silk, dyed green. I don't know what a regular 1.1 BB weighs (just re-read the first post, 2 lbs,) but mine is 26.6 oz with treestraps. Not the lightest, but a very, very comfortable hammock.
    whoaaaaaaaaa

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If light is what you want then a Bridge is probably your best bet. You can utilize one hiking pole for a spreader, a second spreader can be made with an oak dowel and is about the same weight as the AL tent poles and easier to use and can be easily strapped to the hiking pole and add maybe an oz to the weight of the pole.

A Bridge uses a lot less fabric, approximately 2.5 sq yards for the body and approximately 0.3 sq yards for the end panels. Add another approximately 2.5 sq yards for the bug netting. A Bridge will use more bug netting than a Hennessy and maybe about the same amount as a Speer.

A gathered end hammock like the HH ULBA uses over 5 sq yards of fabric. Almost twice the fabric and hence almost twice the weight just in the hammock.

I'm biased towards our Bridges, but then they are the lightest most comfortable hammock I have ever used.

Also, if you are trying to shed weight, then ditch the suspension webbing and use an SLS. There are two versions to choose from. Webbing for the suspension adds a lot to the weight and the bulk. Also, with an SLS you don't need biners or special gadgets like the JRB tri-glide. They are replaced by a simple stick you can pick-up off the ground - zero carry weight. Webbing is about 3 times the weight of equivalent strength rope. You will still use webbing for the tree huggers or you can even ditch the webbing for the tree huggers by using a trick that Turk recently said he is using. I've used it for quite a while now and it is tricky to get right, but with practice is as convenient as anything else.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    in my experience, 1.1 ripstop is extremely stretchy, i wouldn't recommend a single layer to anyone over 150. the 1.7 taffeta i have stretches alot less. i have seen 1.1 from several manufactuers and they are all extremely stretchy fabric, don't know how that would work in a bridge, but i like a little more support in an end gathered hammock
    Not well - that's why I've switched totally to polyester fabrics. A lot less stretch even than the 1.7 nylon.

The difference is very noticeable.

I'll use nylon for prototyping simply because I can get it easily locally without having to buy lots of yardage to make it worth the shipping.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Pictures please?!

Why did you go with silk? Did you have to beat up a geisha to get it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Silk is very, very smooth and soft to the touch. I was looking at some silk baselayers at REI today.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Silk is very, very smooth and soft to the touch. I was looking at some silk baselayers at REI today.
    I guess it would depend on the weight of the fabric, but I didn't think that silk was strong/durable enough for camping type of applications. I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense since parachutes used to be made of the stuff... On the other hand, they're not anymore, are they?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    I guess it would depend on the weight of the fabric, but I didn't think that silk was strong/durable enough for camping type of applications. I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense since parachutes used to be made of the stuff... On the other hand, they're not anymore, are they?
    From upthread a ways:
    silk hammock

It's not the sturdiest material for sure, but it's light and comfy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast