Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro

4 Season WPB Hyperlight Thermal Hammock set-up

Hello All,
    Been doing some sewing and testing some ideas. I have a SOL Escape Thermal Bivvy (waterproof and breathable emergency blanket) and been trying out some ideas. I really like this space blanket and find that it helps hold the heat in very well. I think the best application for this space blanket works well as sleeping bag liner and close to the body to reflect the heat.

So, I took my SOL Escape Thermal Bivvy and made a sock at the top and the bottom ends to make a "Thermal PeaPod". I used some Tyvek material for the sock ends. They ends have draw strings to secure them around the Eno straps. This "Thermal Peapod" will go over my Nano 7 Hammock.

Then, over the hammock and thermal peapod will go my Exped Wallcreeper 650 "wearable" sleeping bag.

Finally, over the hammock, thermal peapod, and Wallcreeper 650 sleeping bag, will go a custom made Integral Designs South Col II eVent/Waterproof Bivysack. I basically did the same idea with the ID Bivysack as with the Thermal Peapod... I cut the ID Bivy and sewn on some sleeves on the foot and head ends. The head end uses some 3-Layer WPB Marpat Goretex fabric and the foot end uses some 30D Silnylon material. Both ends of the sleeves have drawstring closures to secure them around the Eno straps.

I really like the Integral Designs South Col II eVent WPB Bivy on the outside. The eVent fabric is very waterproof and very breathable. The bivy is seamsealed and I might be able to use this with out a tarp??? We'll see...
    I also like how the ID Bivy has the armholes and I can use this with my Exped Wallcreeper sleeping bag and stick my arms out of the set-up. My current set-up used the Exped Wallcreeper and a Hilleberg Bivanorak. But, the Bivanorak just doesn't seem to breath as well as the eVent fabric of the ID bivy.

I can also just unhook the entire set-up and stuff completely together in a Sea-To-Summit Silnylon sompression sack. Set-up and takedown time is a minute or two. Anyways, just wanted to show you my set-up and can't wait for sub-zero temps to really test this set-up.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
    ~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Here's some more pics of the Integral Designs South Col II eVent Bivy with the "hammock modifications".

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    wow.. nice. I think I'd still pack a lightweight tarp. Especially if you use it in wet late-fall early-spring conditions. Nothing's worse than trying to get set up in the rain with cold hands and no way to unpack gear without it getting wet/muddy.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers & Whoopies
    That looks incredibly comfortable! I like the multi-layer design because of the versatility, but it's definitely not for even the mildly claustrophobic. That wearable sleeping bag looks like fun.

What do they tell you to do if a black bear approaches you? Make yourself look big and be loud, right? That would look pretty funny happening in this death trap you just made.... LOL

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    I have been reading a couple of posts in DIY forum...about a Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock by Lost_Biker and the other post about using a space blanket by matmore74.

I noticed with the Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock, the replies ended that the Gore-Tex is too heavy and bulky and someone mentioned eVent WPB fabric instead. And using the space blanket idea is great, only if it is breathable and helps to be close to the body to reflect the immediate body heat.

So, I wanted to combine the use of a breathable space blanket as a sleeping bag liner and then use the ID bivy as a extremely waterproof and breathable "hammock sock".

Yes, I will agree that this is a snug fit. But not really claustrophobic. I have room to move and/or sleep on my side. Plus, less weight and bulk in the backpack is a plus. I'm trying to keep my backpack and gear as light and effective as possible. I'm also trying to find the lightest weight hammock set-up for sub-zero temps and it has to breathe to control condensation.

As far as bears, I hoping that they will be hibernating or just passing by. But, with all hammock set-ups, it would seem we are all stuck in a trapped "bear burrito" just swaying in the wind. Just in case though, the arm holes are wide enough to poke a Ruger 44mag Alaskan through.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Love the creativity and execution.

Worthy of a video along with the pics.

I'm wondering how comfortable the space balnket is if it has to be close to the body and any problems with moisture. I have had bad luck with pads and moisture and stay with underquilts for that reason, just don't know about space blankets.

I am an everyday outdoor hanger and have been doing nights in the teens to 20's for a couple weeks now but need to make a few mods as temps drop and precip eventually moves in.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Going to do a testing of this set-up tonight. Temps are supposed to be around 15* F with a real feel of 7* F. My Exped Wallcreeper bag is rated to 20* F. I will hang underneath my deck and exposed to the elements. The Integral Designs bivy will be my only waterproof outer shell. I am planning on wearing some wool long underwear, wool socks, balaclava, and mitts. I am hoping that this SOL Escape Emergency Bivy will keep me more than toasty. I think this will be a good test in these temps. Certainly, not the kind of temps that Shug and Strung Out have been out in. Congrats to those boys. Anyways, just wanted to share some thoughts and results soon. Chat with you again!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hi folks,
    We spent the night in our hammocks and wanted to report our test with the SOL Escape Thermal Bivvy.

Here's the hammock set-up we used (as above in my original post):
    1. Grand Trunk Nano 7 Hammock with the Eno Atlas strap
    2. Modified SOL Escape Thermal/Breathable Bivvy
    3. Exped Wallcreeper 650 Down Fill (20* F rated)
    4. Modified Integral Designs South Col II eVent Bivy

For clothing I wore:
    1. Minus33 Heavyweight Wool Long Johns
    2. Long sleeve light weight camo wicking shirt
    3. Medium weight GAP wool sweater
    4. Cabelas Heavyweight wool socks
    5. Minus33 Heavyweight wool balaclava
    6. Axeman leather chopping mitts

Temperature got down to 7* F last night (01/06/2014). I just used the hammock setup and my clothing. I did not use a tarp. Although I was underneath our deck/carport and also added a lean-to tarp to protect from some wind and elements.

I slept perfectly warm (almost hot) and didn't have any cold spots at the head or foot end, thanks to the modified ends on the SOL Escape Bivvy and the modified ends on the Integral Designs eVent Bivy.

I have to admit that using the SOL breathable emergency blanket really helps keep me warm with it being the first layer close to the body and able to reflect the body heat back. With the SOL emergency blanket inside of the Exped Wallcreeper goose down sleeping bag, it really allows the reflected body heat to be trapped in a "thermal cocoon". The SOL Theramal bag is breathable and the heat slowly passes through this first layer and then is trapped in the awesome insulating power of goose down. I found only minimal condensation on the Exped Wallcreeper around the area my head is located. This condensation was on the outside of the Wallcreeper bag and the inside of the outer Integral Designs eVent Bivy.

My overall thoughts...
    I would have to say that using this "breathable" emergency bag as a sleeping bag liner really works. I have tried this method with a traditional mylar emergency blanket/bag and found that I just feel clammy, albeit that the reflecting of body heat does hold merit. With the modifications to the SOL Escape "breathable" Thermal Bivvy, it really makes this a "thermal peapod" and completely covers the ends of the hammock. So often I find that the majority of cold draft comes in around the foot and head end. But, if you can completely enclose the ends of the hammock and create a "cocoon of warmth" around you, this will help you get the most out of your insulating setup.

An important point of my hammock set-up is that it doesn't take up that much room in the backpack for the kind of low temps it will get. I use a XL Sea-To-Summit Ultra-Sil compression bag. The packed size of this set-up is: 10" diameter x 16" long. Another great note is that it takes less than 2 minutes to set-up and take down. You just wrap the Eno Atlas straps around the trees. Pull your complete hammock set-up out of the compression bag and just hang it up. (Adding a tarp to this will add more set-up time, of course.) The Nano 7 hammock, modified SOL Escape Thermal Bivvy, Exped Wallcreeper 650 down bag, and modified Integral Designs South Col II eVent Bivy stay completely together and just stuff altogether in the Sea to Summit compression bag. This really makes for a stealthy, lightweight, compact and easy to use 4 season set-up. I will continue to test this set-up in minus temps and report how the thermal bivy continues to work. The SOL Escape Bivvy can help add extra warmth for how little room it takes and it is certainly worth its place in my set-up.

Another note, I would hypothesize that I could use this in the summer months in the mountains with out using my Exped Wallcreeper. Just the Nano 7 hammock, the modified SOL Escape Thermal Bivvy, and the modified ID South Col II Bivy. Again, having the modified ends to completely avoid any drafts really helps make this "cocoon of warmth" system work. I would expect that this set-up without the Exped Wallcreeper might keep me warm into the low 40's with the same clothes as above. We'll see.

Well, we are off to sleep another night in this set-up. Cheers and Enjoy!

Images
    WOW way to think outside the box.
    Very nice, thanks for the report and picts.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Thanks for your reply and kind words. I'm really excited about this "cocoon" design using the breathable space blanket. It seems to work great for pushing lower temps without adding more layers of clothing or another sleeping bag. To be able to carry a 4 season set-up year around, is nice. Especially in the Rockies where it's cooler and temps can change even in summer. It's nice being able to stuff the hammock set-up right into your stuff sack/compression bag. Plus, the ID South Col II outer bivy is very waterproof and breathable with the eVent material. It's our stealthy, gram-weenie, hyperlight set-up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast