DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling

Moving to MO!

Got my orders to Whiteman AFB and will be moving next month. Looks like there's a pretty active MO HF contingent, can't wait to meet you all! How about some nearby trip recommendations? I'll probably be able to break away for some overnighters during the weekends.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Congrats, I was stationed there for 15 years, my wife and I loved it. It's a shame I just left like 6 months ago. Theres some decent areas to go, but for serious backpacking you're going to need to head on over to the east side of the state more near St. Louis. I hope your move goes well and wish you the best of luck.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Welcome to Missouri Boulderman. Lots of great backpacking destinations, a good place to start is here www.ozarktrail.com/. You will find that Missouri is fairly flat in the north, the last ice age glacier came south about to the middle of the state, creating a uplift. It left the northern part of Missouri fairly flat as it receded, leaving behind some excellent farmland and prairie. The southern uplifted portion eroded into hills and hollers creating the Ozarks. Not real high in elevation but beautiful deciduous forest mixed with some pine. The karst geology means lots of underground water, caves, and springs. Terrific hunting and fishing, and a friendly populace. Lots of good canoe/kayak streams. I hope you enjoy your time here. Clay ~

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Very sorry to hear you are leaving us!!! Hope Mo. is kind to you, it is very good camping/hiking area. At least what I have seen around the Ozarks area.
    Via Con Dios my friend, and thanks for your service to our Country.

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    Got my orders to Whiteman AFB and will be moving next month. Looks like there's a pretty active MO HF contingent, can't wait to meet you all! How about some nearby trip recommendations? I'll probably be able to break away for some overnighters during the weekends.
    Thank you for your service and welcome to Missouri. remember it is pronounced with "e" sound on the end, not "a".
    we just finished up a series of hikes/hangs, but I am sure we will be planning more shortly.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Thanks for the welcome y'all! We're really excited for this new adventure.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowanderer View Post
    Very sorry to hear you are leaving us!!! Hope Mo. is kind to you, it is very good camping/hiking area. At least what I have seen around the Ozarks area.
    Via Con Dios my friend, and thanks for your service to our Country.
    Thanks Slowanderer, too bad we all weren't able to get together more often! Take care in CO, I'm sure I'll make my way back someday.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Welcome to Whiteman and Missour. Whiteman was my final assignment before I retired. I was enlisted, SMSgt, contracting. I think you'll like the area. I never did much hiking up there but just to get you out and started, there's a nice little park right out the back gate; good for day hikes and something to do in the evenings. Great place to take the kids as well.

Then start checking out the conservation areas; Missouri has about the best program for public lands of any state that I'm aware of. Surprisingly, many of them do allow primitive camping and even have some decent trails.

There's also a lot of national forests in the state that provide ample opportunity.

As you head west towards Kansas areas you'll run into some nice areas for outdoors stuff but also for other things to do with the family.

Not sure if you're a church going person but there's a fantastic little church right outside the main gate called Calvary Baptist Church, I know the Pastor and many of the people and I like it becaue it's "real".

There's a group of us on the Eastern side of the state that do quite a few hangs together. Some of those would be easily a 4-6 hour drive for you but I think you'll find it worth it. We can always come your way too!

Anyway, Welcome to the state and I hope we get to hang together sometime. If you come up with some good places to go down that way, please post it so we have the opportunity to join you, It would do me good to talk to an active duty Air Force guy again

Take care and enjoy the day
    Gideon

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Welcome to MO from another former Coloradan. When we first moved here, my perception was that there may not be much hiking/camping in Missouri. If you fee the same way, you'll be surprised when you arrive. In fact, you may be surprised at how pretty this state really is. It's certainly different from Colorado, but it also has a beauty all it's own.

I'm still new enough not to have met everyone else, so hopefully we'll all meet up at the next hang.

Forrest
    • There's a very thin line between a little bit crazy and a whole lot stupid.
    • If you're lost, just go faster. You'll be lost for less time.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    There's a small hang we're putting together for Dec 13-15. It's in Eastern KS, about 45 min from KC.

If you're interested in coming out, take a look for the thread I started and let us know!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast