Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very cold sleeper?

Hi all, After much productive reading over many months I would like to thank you all for such an informative and newb-friendly site.
    I am having trouble staying warm on my back side between but and shoulder in conditions 20 degrees above the temps rates for my UQ. I have contacted the crafter of this very fine uq and believe I have it suspended correctly. I am disappointed after attempting 6 moderately cool nights to be uncomfortable as i love the idea of fall, spring and even winter hammock camping.
    I know people are warm or cold sleepers but is it likely one would be cold 20 degrees above the rating of their UQ? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Have you had someone check the ends of your quilt for gaps while you are laying in it? I had the same issue till I fixed the gap at the head end of my quilt.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    If it is down UQ, make sure there is insulation where you need it. I know someone who was having the same problem and it turned out all the down was at the foot end of the quilt. A little shake and fluff and he was good to go.

Bill

Best I can tell the ends are snugged up and the draft collar is mating to the hammock without gaps.
    The quilt is a UGQ Zeppelin so I will try shaking some down into the cool spots.
    It seems that the guidance for the quilts primary suspension is to use plenty of tension. I notice though that moderate tension seems to compress the down somewhat in the low spots under the hammock. Too little tension creates a draft space between the quilt and hammock.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Make sure have it flipped right side up. It shouldn't compress under tension.
    But answer your question ,it is possible but not likely that you are that cold of a sleeper. Definitely get another body out there and look the seal over. Try many different positions. If you can find a hang close you will find all sorts of help, but bring a pad just in case.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    More than likely you need to tighten up your suspension. I'll offer this. May give some insight.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    like someone said above may need to tighten the main suspension line to snug it up a bit, however be carful not to over tighten the ends if you over cinch them they cannot stretch to match the hammock and can let air get in. Best thing to do is have someone lay in the hammock and the play around with everything until it looks right. Took some adjustment for mine but once I got it I was snug as could be right down to the rating.
    Good luck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panhandler View Post
    Hi all, After much productive reading over many months I would like to thank you all for such an informative and newb-friendly site.
    I am having trouble staying warm on my back side between but and shoulder in conditions 20 degrees above the temps rates for my UQ. I have contacted the crafter of this very fine uq and believe I have it suspended correctly. I am disappointed after attempting 6 moderately cool nights to be uncomfortable as i love the idea of fall, spring and even winter hammock camping.
    I know people are warm or cold sleepers but is it likely one would be cold 20 degrees above the rating of their UQ? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Panhandler, don't despair, we see a lot of threads like this in regards to using an UQ. They can be tricky rascals with a lot of fiddle factor, even though some folks nail it on the very 1st try. Bottom line: fit must be perfect, there must be zero gaps or drafts. Still, most people finally get them to work. If it is a dif cut UQ, usually tighter is better. I.E., main suspension of a torso UQ tight enough to lift your unoccupied hammock 2 feet or more. Not necesarily tighter end channels, which can cause gaps. Look up the Jarbidge set up video at AHE or HF, for example.

Unless you are a very cold sleeper, it is a draft or gap. If you have the so called Perimeter suspension( shock cord encircling the quilt through side channels) beware of the also so called accordion effect. Where the quilt will bunch up in the middle, with the head end and foot end moving closer together. I can notice even a little bit of that, it will cause a gap in the middle. You want it snug against your entire back. If this is a problem, rig up an old fashioned JRB style suspension, where the shock cord pulls from each end.

But re: your last question: Yes, people can vary that much. The difference between me and my wife and daughter can easily be 20F. Do you consider yourself a very cold sleeper? And was unblocked wind an issue? That can easily take 20F off a rating.

Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    As the others have stated tighten the suspension. I've had many different types of under quilts and almost all have needed roughly 2' worth of shock cord taken out of the suspension. Also instead of using the cord locks to take up slack tie a knot. Under enough tension the cord locks have a tendency to slip.
    Theres nothing like danglin in dixie!!!!

Murphy's Law: When one toilet breaks they all break.....its all a buncha crap.

Im an educated idiot. The more I learn the less I know.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    +1 on tightening it. I'm a very cold sleeper myself, but proper adjustment of the quilt will do wonders. Start out at what seems to be too tight and you might be surprised that it's just right.

If you can hang in a dark area with light at a distance, you should be able to see the outline of the UQ along the hammock. Incoming light = cold air.

The Underground should have two adjustment systems for the quilt. I had an older one and made the double setup. One is to suspend the quilt. The other allows you to adjust the tension and lay along the top edges to accommodate a diagonal lay. Mine is set up in alignment with the knotty mod tensioners, pulling the outside edges further down the top line to keep the quilt under me.
    Trapezoidal in shape as opposed to rectangular.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast