Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    they're blue closed cell foam pads roughly 20x72"x 1/2" thick.
    I currently use a piece of reflectix radiant barrier under my bag - it's 24" wide and weighs nothing, but you'll still need a good bag to sleep in. It replaced a self-inflating mat in my kit - which I still tend to carry with as a "just in case" or loaner.

I know several people who use a mil-surp MSS (2 nested bags and a gore-tex bivy) in their hammock for winter, another buddy who uses a poncho liner and space blanket for his underquilt and another poncho liner over his structural ridgeline under the tarp as a "tent".

my first hang was one of these December outings - I used the self inflating pad, a 40 year old military surplus bag, and an 8x8 tarp set up as a diamond. slept in sweats, thick wool socks, and a fleece quarter zip - and was plenty comfortable.
    Trick I've learned since is to sleep wearing an insulated "patrol cap" with rigid bill (sort of like a ball cap with ear flaps) - head stays warm and the bill maintains some breathing soom so I don't feel smothered when burrowing in the bag when the wind picks up around 4 AM.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Another trick a lot of folks use is the tried and true hot water bottle. A nalgene or military surplus canteen works great. Plus it ensures you will have water in non-solid state in the morning for your oatmeal and first cup of coffee. By the way I will pack my roll of reflectex if anyone needs a sleep or foot pad.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    So today I physically got the Military Modular Sleep System. I realized that ArmyGear.Net was right down the road from me. I inspected all of the gear separately and chose the best items. I got the bivy cover, intermediate bag, patrol bag, compression sack and a military foam pad. Now I just need to test it out in the WBRR! Everything looks brand new and I picked it up for $78! Cold front coming through Missouri! Might just test it out in this 10-20 degree weather we're about to have!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    So today I physically got the Military Modular Sleep System. I realized that ArmyGear.Net was right down the road from me. I inspected all of the gear separately and chose the best items. I got the bivy cover, intermediate bag, patrol bag, compression sack and a military foam pad. Now I just need to test it out in the WBRR! Everything looks brand new and I picked it up for $78! Cold front coming through Missouri! Might just test it out in this 10-20 degree weather we're about to have!
    I don't think you will be disappointed in its performance. I like mine but as you already know the whole rig weighs in at around 7 pounds or so. Only drawback with it if you are backpacking any distance. I still have mine as my go to setup when I car camp though.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Just wondering what he firewood situation is like lately at Woodridge? Still enough ground wood to keep the fire stoked? If not I can haul some in from the house. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Ramen and I found a good amount out there when we were there about a month ago, but there were quite a few more people out there than I'd expected this time of year.

I'd say if you could bring a bit, it might be worthwhile. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    not a bad price - any chance they had some of those in "tall"?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    not a bad price - any chance they had some of those in "tall"?
    I'm not really sure they come in different sizes. I'm 6' 2" 185 lbs and I have just the right amount of room. Any more inches in height and I think you wouldn't fit into the intermediate bag. The patrol bag and bivy sack are huge though.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Looking forward to this run! Got a PM from Fuhgawee that he can't make it out on this run , but looks like we'll have some good attendance otherwise.

I plan on taking Friday as PTO, and being onsite sometime Friday afternoon if possible. Looks like Weasel will be coming out with us, and his twin brother Kyle is planning on coming out for his first cold weather camping run.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Stock Clark

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast