first post and first hang

Well howdy everyone. Ive been studying up on hammock camping for a year now and the posts here and there have been very usefull. This winter i bought a jrb bridge hammock with hope that I would be able to sleep in it. Well I set up some poles in the basement to hang it on and tried it out 3x. I found it is extremely comfortable and the shoulder squeeze that I was concerned about was not an issue. Im 5'11 inches tall and 185 lbs. I am a side sleeper and only time im on my back is to turn over. Well the first night the temp in basement was 50 degrees and I just used a sleeping bag and pillow. I had a hard time falling to sleep mostly from the thought that I wouldn`t be able to fall asleep and the furnace coming on every 10 minutes. I gave up at 3 in the a.m. Next time I slept till 5 a.m. 3rd time I was sleeping good when the air compressor fired up at 3 a.m. and blasted out of there. I decided that I had to get outside but still was below zero here in northern maine. So 2 weeks ago I set up outside in the woods behind my house and tried again. Temp was 28 degrees with a wind chill of 18 degrees. I find that a thermarest large camp pad fits perfect in the sleeve below the hammock. I use a -30 rectangular sleeping bag and temperpedic pillow. I found that a couple of bungie cords tied out to some trees from the ends of straps keeps the rocking sway to a minium. Well i was toasty warm all night and slept great till i woke from a dream that i had my head stuck in a freezer. When I came to my bare bald head was frozen and i made a bee line for the house. The next week was the same conditions but this time I wore a knit hat and that worked great. Now I must figure out how to use the sleeping bad so the cold doesnt get to my shoulders. During that night I did a pretty violent flip flop forgetting that I was in a hammock and dumped out on the ground. Only fell about 2 feet on semi soft ground. No injuries tho. Well i think i have found an excellent way to sleep now. Very happy. Also I think i figured out how to use the tri glides. The cat tarp is easy to set up as is the hammock. I must get better at picking trees that are the right distance apart tho. Well happy hanging all and maybe we will meet some day. Jim from maine.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Nice, welcome to the forums!
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    Way to go Lemmadoc, and welcome!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Welcome. Try earplugs when you're sleeping in basement. Then furnace and air compressor won't bother you so much.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts