How good is Cuben Fiber?

I have seen numerous posts with a great deal of question about the longevity, durability, and overall life span of cuben fiber. I would venture to say that it's rightfully so given the cost of the material when compared to other fabrics that accomplish the same thing (give or take a few).

It has been bashed by many, and at the same time praised by an almost equal amount (if not more at times), not just on this site but on countless others.

Many have questioned if the price is worth it, which is a very personal thing that has been debated by many (again not just on this site), with no real change in reality that it's one owns personal decision and should be left there without debate.

There are many other things floating around about cuben fiber and its use in the hiking/backpacking world.

So you ask "why the heck is he writing this" well here is a little bit that I just found out, which apparently is nothing new....I just either didn't look hard enough, or missed it all together.

There are many famous hikers, some long gone, and many still going strong...yet one name is known by all hikers and is respected above all others (IMO) "Nimblewill Nomad". I always find myself reading his reports on his adventures in awe of his accomplishments, yet today I learned something new....

His tent was made of cuben fiber...thats right folks the Nomad used a tent made from cuben fiber for 50,000+ miles!!!!!! If that doesn't show some credibility for this material, I don't know what will!

For those who don't believe a darn word I say, thats cool no hard feelings.....Here are the links for you to find it yourself-

First is a link to the tent itself- http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/image...nomad_tent.htm

Also if you go to Nimblewill's site, go to Odyssey 2009, and go to sponsors, scroll down a bit and there is a picture of the cuben nomad, with the name of the craftsman in Berlin, Germany.

Next are links to other places that talk about the tent, such as every hike he has done since his Odyssey 2009 (look in the gear list and you will see the reference to it)-
    http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2009_gear.htm

And through to his Odyssey 2013-
    http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyss...3_gal_gear.htm

Also some is said about it here-
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...size=900%2C675

I am not posting this as a way to argue, fight, or any of that c*!p....just hoping that this will help others in crossing that boundary. I think some great care should always be placed and put into use when using a product like cuben fiber, well all UL materials for that matter.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Very interesting read, thanks for the info and links Yoda

Images
    That is a cool looking tent. Nice LW alternative.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Thanks, Yoda. A good testimony to a great material.

White would make me crazy -- I've extremely pleased with my .74 ounce green tarp.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Glad you all found the info useful/informative, as it was intended.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting. I will read it more later.

The only downside other than price I am aware of is some delamination problems. If/when I go to Cuben I think I will go to something along the lines of .75 vs .54 oz material. That will still be an improvement over my polyurethane coated tarps. Also still lighter than silnylon that also seems to have problems.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts