Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Packing up the hammock

I am trying to think of the best way to pack up my quilt, my uq and my hammock so that I can carry them on my motorbike. The bag needs to waterproof and sturdy.My uq is synthetic and my
    Quilt is large so I need something pretty big. Any ideas?

Images
    I used the sea to summit compression bag with good results. Waterproof and and cool breathable side to easily let the air out.

Any tips for doing trips on a motorcycle. Planning on getting one this summer and starting with weekend trips. My biggest concern is with finding good places to setup for the night.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The giant sized ziploc bags are very effective and cheap too. Every Walmart I've been to has them; usually in a 3 pack (XL, XXL, & XXXL) I can put my whole pack into one of the XXL ones and float it across a wide ford.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I used the sea to summit compression bag with good results. Waterproof and and cool breathable side to easily let the air out.

Any tips for doing trips on a motorcycle. Planning on getting one this summer and starting with weekend trips. My biggest concern is with finding good places to setup for the night.
    You are right to be concerned. Check out the advforum for some really good info on motorcycle camping. I am a bad person to ask because often is the night I am riding around in the dark furtively looking for a campsite.

Best advice is probably to find a spot during daylight- at night it is 10 times harder.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Ortlieb drybags
    Wolfman luggage
    Helen2Wheels bags
    Kermit duffel bags

Oh, and get yourself some Helen2Wheels straps for securing the bag to your rear rack.
    Last edited by RAW; 04-23-2009 at 18:56.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    My dad and I just did this. I needed to get away and we packed up his FJR1300 and left for a couple of days. I have to get to class soon so I can't expound too much right now. His bike has hard cases on the side, and a Givi trunk. Made it nice to place our gear in. We used a couple of hammocks, and a couple sleeping bags. Some assorted clothes, and toiletries, and that's about it. It was a blast. I guess to actually add something of value, yes, find a space in the daylight. I guess our real concern was being out of sight of the motorcycle. That wouldn't make for much fun, coming out of the woods to find the motorcycle gone. Of course an enduro style bike would make it much easier to just slink back into the woods if you wanted.

It's definitely a blast if you get the chance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I use the Kermit duffel on my bike.
    But most of my stuff fits in my hard bags.

I just sold these hard-bags and got some different ones.

That kermit duffel comes in various sizes. This is the smaller of my two. It's seen a pretty decent amount of rain without leaking. You just have to pack it zipper-down.

Images
    Thanks for the link to adv forums. I'll have to read that later. Later on I think I'll be asking some questions on that here. Big debate is a cruizer vs more of an adventure bike like the RS. The adventure bikes just seem like you are getting ready to cross the Sahara instead of traveling cross country.

I'm with you on finding a site while it's light out. That is the one time I start to get stressed out while hiking.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    a long loooong time ago (1981-82ish) my husband and I used to pack up the motercycle, a FLH Harley (full dresser in case you don't know what that is) and just head out camping. Always had a great time, never worried about rain or getting wet or that we simply pitched a tent and used a blanket for cover (no sleeping bags or pad/mats to sleep on) Well we sure can't do that today, our backs just can't take it. Last year (I think it was last year!!!??? ) we packed the bike and headed for Myrtle Beach to the bike rally. We had way more stuff, slept in way more comfort, yet the bike had way less "weight" on it. In the interveening years, camping equipment has gotten smarter, lighter and way more expensive. But my back is appreiciative. I pack everything into silnylon bags that I made. Plus I use compression bags for things that will compress, like quilts. Watch out for things rubbing inside those hard compartments, I've found wear spots on some of my silnylon bags where they were up against the hard saddle bags or the tour pack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    . Big debate is a cruizer vs more of an adventure bike like the RS. The adventure bikes just seem like you are getting ready to cross the Sahara instead of traveling cross country.

I guess someone sent you a link to ADVrider.com
    I'm a member of there too--have been for several years. Lots of good info.

As for the cruiser vs. "adventure" bike:

Cruisers are comfortable, but . . . heavy. IMO, they limit the kinds of roads you can get out and enjoy. Lots of people love 'em, but I'm not a big fan. I rode a Valkyrie for years. But when I tried an ADV bike . . . there was no looking back.

PM me if you wanna talk about it some more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast