Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    CS apex diy uq
    Suspension
    Cinch and amsteel

Climashield full length UQ and camping quilt

Hi all

After going through all of the post and info I could find, I decided to tackle an under quilt using 6 oz Climashield apex and 1.1 ripstop. To justify time and cost investment, i wanted it to double as a camping top quilt for use when car camping with the better half (currently using the duvet from the house on top of the sleeping bags, so yeah, 10lbs of damp cotton every morning in the tent...).

I originally wanted a blue inner with digital camo outer, but didn't read the info enough and ended up with 3 yards of pu coated camo ripstop... Way too heavy and sticky with the coating. I put another order in for some of the olive brown and think it looks great. Might use the waterproof stuff for stuff sacks.

Anyway, it ended up being 55" wide, 72" long, 3 inch diff cut on the outer, with draft collars stuffed with apex on both ends. Added side grosgrain loops for additional cinch points like a peapod. Side and end shock-cord channels (need to work on the ends, a bit too busy for my liking) and 3 layer reinforcements on the corners. Followed the kaq guide without the asym shape.

I'm really liking it, but my apex might not have been totally uniform- I can feel the outer come away from the insulation in places when it is hanging, which means it's suspended by the double sew line to the inner. I might have to take in some of the excess outer material by sewing to support it better. I'm also a little concerned by the width- I've seen very few other quilts with a 55" width, but it looks like it should work fine. Any real drawbacks to a UQ of this width that my newbie self missed?

Other than that, very happy. Thanks to everyone who posted build instructions- invaluable fort success with this. Much appreciated.

All in, cost just shy of $90, excluding the bonus camo coated RS I picked up. Will weigh it tonight, but can't be more than 35oz (just weighed at 37oz), stuffs into medium sea to summit drybag, but I prefer it a bit looser in the base of my pack. Pics:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384814613.697471.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384814633.982338.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384814652.078262.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384814672.630025.jpg

Cheers
    Last edited by Neilp1; 11-18-2013 at 20:14. Reason: Typos

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 RS gathered end
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    CS apex diy uq
    Suspension
    Cinch and amsteel

Hammock
    DIY PoorBird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Thats quite nice! I dig the blue inner shell. I made a 5.0oz climashield apex underquilt and I LOVE it. I've had her down to 40*f with a 2.5oz top quilt and slept like a baby! im gonna layer up and try her out in the 32* range here in a couple weeks. I've never seen one with draft collars... Were those tricky sewing on there?

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 RS gathered end
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    CS apex diy uq
    Suspension
    Cinch and amsteel
    Thanks! Yeah, the blue really pops. I haven't tested it yet but hoping it gets me down to about 30 oF with a sleeping bag as top quilt.

The draft collars actually are based on Scums design- 4inches wide, filled with a 3 inch wide strip of apex. I added a grosgrain loop to one inside corner, tied shock cord to it and folded it before sewing three sides. Sc comes out of the open end. After filling it, sewed the fourth side up to the shock cord, tight enough that i can cinch it closed with a cord lock. I laid it out flat between the inner liner and the channel (I used the inside out method) before sewing the inner-collar-channel-outer together on a 1/2 inch seam allowance. This puts the collar on the inside of the channel when everything is flipped right side out, and it stands up against the hammock after cinching the cord a couple inches. Seems to follow the contours and ridges in the hammock pretty well.

I need to work on the suspension- thinking toggles and sewn-on loops on the hammock. Biggest thread injecting project so far, and very pleased. Came out pretty sweet. Just need a TDstand so I can test it out in the yard.

Cheers

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird, WB BB
    Tarp
    WB SF, ENO PF
    Insulation
    New River, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Looks great

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    looks awesome, I'm about to tackle the same project and really like your idea fie the draft collars. I ordered 20 yards on the wrong fabric so I need to get some new fabric and I'll be in business
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Looks nice and toasty.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

nice!

thanks for sharing

• + New Posts