One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

UQ suspension and protection questions

I'm looking to pick the collective HF brain here. I made a couple of down quilts a while back and am still mulling over some of the finer points of their use.

First of all, I was thinking about making some triangle thingies, but then I started to wonder what the point is. With my current rig I can attach directly to the ridgeline. So, is there an advantage to the quilt suspension being able to shift laterally over a fixed point on the ridgeline? Or is the purpose simply to bring the attachment point into a more vertical orientation? More specifically, would I loose anything by simply using a prussic on the ridge line?

The second idem is a little more straight forward. I believe I understand the purpose of a quilt protector, i.e. protect it. The time/money balance being what it is at the moment I will be making one myself. I just want to confirm that it's simply a rectangle of ripstop, ideally DWR and or calendered, with shock cord channels on all sides, the ends being used for suspension.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post

First of all, I was thinking about making some triangle thingies, but then I started to wonder what the point is. With my current rig I can attach directly to the ridgeline. So, is there an advantage to the quilt suspension being able to shift laterally over a fixed point on the ridgeline? Or is the purpose simply to bring the attachment point into a more vertical orientation? More specifically, would I loose anything by simply using a prussic on the ridge line?

Prussic on the ridge line would get the job done with the least amount of hassle. The triangle things were intended for netted hammocks like the WBBB or HH to pull quilt up at a better angle. The guy that thought the triangle things up could have simplified it by just using a triangle of cord.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Look at this video at 3:12 for the triangle things from cord for screened in hammocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpBURngVhA
    For open hammocks with ridgeline and a prussic keep watching it's covered at 5:18.
    I've found that for a 3/4 UQ I needed two prussics at the head end (left and right) to keep the resulting lines away from my head. This is on a short 8 1/2 hammock and allows me to adjust the side I'm placing my head at a different angle than the side without my head. Hope this makes sense - just make a couple temp loops that you can adjust bigger or smaller (mine ended up at 10 inches or so) and try it out.
    P.S. Hillbilly hanger found this video for me.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-19-2013 at 10:08. Reason: add info
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images

UQ suspension and protection questions

I use a pair of prussik loops on my ridgeline and it works great.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Look at this video at 3:12 for the triangle things from cord for screened in hammocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMpBURngVhA
    For open hammocks with ridgeline and a prussic keep watching it's covered at 5:18.
    I've found that for a 3/4 UQ I needed two prussics at the head end (left and right) to keep the resulting lines away from my head. This is on a short 8 1/2 hammock and allows me to adjust the side I'm placing my head at a different angle than the side without my head. Hope this makes sense - just make a couple temp loops that you can adjust bigger or smaller (mine ended up at 10 inches or so) and try it out.
    P.S. Hillbilly hanger found this video for me.
    The video and everybody's comments pretty much confirm that I was on the right track. Thanks.

• + New Posts