Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Like the tarp setup! TiGoat and Kifaru both make Ti packable stoves.

FWIW - if I make a beak like that for a stove I would be inclined to research nomex or similar for a significant area around the stove jack. It's heavier but with a pulk or for car use a half pound extra beats the need for a lot of care and worry. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Like the tarp setup! TiGoat and Kifaru both make Ti packable stoves.

FWIW - if I make a beak like that for a stove I would be inclined to research nomex or similar for a significant area around the stove jack. It's heavier but with a pulk or for car use a half pound extra beats the need for a lot of care and worry. ;-)
    Both of my Kifaru stoves pictured are SS.
    Like you said when you are pulking your gear who care how much it weights.
    The 1/2# of weight savings is not worth the added price of Ti to me anyway.

I did research nomex and #10 treated canvas.
    Used samples in my stove pipe burn testing where I took strips of material and layed them up againts an almost glowing pipe.

Results: #10 treated canvas smoldered then glowed in about 30 seconds. Did not catch on fire.
    Nomex melted in about 30 seconds no fire.
    Std sylnylon (OES uses for their tarps) melted instantly but did not catch on fire.
    Silpad (silicone impregnated fiberglass) was the best and that is what I made my overly large stove jack out of.
    Spec'd at 5000 degrees and 1/4 the weight of treated canvas.

Being a retired aerospace designer/mechanical engineer for +30 years
    one of my jobs was to take someones design, look at the environment it would be exposed to
    and come up with tests to find its limits. It was fun applying those skill to this hot tarp design.
    I can't wait to build another one and incorporate some new ideas.

OP, I hope I have not taken your original question too far off course?
    My appologies if it did...
    Last edited by OutandBack; 11-19-2013 at 21:46.

Wow, what a well thought out and impressive design you've got there. I've also been doing a lot of "testing" of my setup just off the back porch lately and I hadn't really thought about how to deal with snow collecting on the pull outs.

I plan on doing the external pole mod in the very near future. Just brainstorming real quick I'm wondering if by adding one of the pre-arched pole sections from quest outfitters to the middle of the poles to create more of a peak and then using a small secondary "snow fly" pulled taught over just the poles and pullouts that this will help shed some snow.

Do certain fabrics shed snow better than others? Is there something that can be sprayed on the outside of a tarp that would help the snow slide off more easily?
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like pull-outs for 3/4 of the backpacking season…though I don't use them all the time. For snowy Winter I like the pole mod on my Winter Tarp for better snow shedding and less tarp collapse.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I prefer poles to string. Tripping over those extras cords gets old quick. Haven't gotten to trying them yet in the snow yet though, but if you tie them out with cord too much, like others said it will build up. I actualy use my superfly the most of the year, with a dedicated tarp for when it's real cold. No poles needed.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I prefer poles to string. Tripping over those extras cords gets old quick. Haven't gotten to trying them yet in the snow yet though, but if you tie them out with cord too much, like others said it will build up. I actualy use my superfly the most of the year, with a dedicated tarp for when it's real cold. No poles needed.

Nice clean setup!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginTuff View Post
    Wow, what a well thought out and impressive design you've got there. I've also been doing a lot of "testing" of my setup just off the back porch lately and I hadn't really thought about how to deal with snow collecting on the pull outs.

I plan on doing the external pole mod in the very near future. Just brainstorming real quick I'm wondering if by adding one of the pre-arched pole sections from quest outfitters to the middle of the poles to create more of a peak and then using a small secondary "snow fly" pulled taught over just the poles and pullouts that this will help shed some snow.

Do certain fabrics shed snow better than others? Is there something that can be sprayed on the outside of a tarp that would help the snow slide off more easily?
    I hope you will post your progress on your external pole mod I love looking at others' ideas and designs.

As for best material for sheding snow, sylnylon, tyvek, most plastic sheeting, and cuben all do very well. Canvas is probably the worst do to the rough surface. The trick for best snow shedding is having the sharpest angle but still have enough room for you and your gear.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Bug View Post
    I see a lot of merit in OutandBack's design, because the angle created allows for the snow to role down like on a traditional roof. That said, I've heard the internal pole mode works very well, and can probably be accomplished with more readily available parts.
    Other thoughts and perspectives are always welcome and interesting to read!
    I believe anyone with an internal pole mod that wanted a steeper angle for winter snows could easly add a 90 angle piece at the RL. The poles would support the walls preventing them from caving in with what snow they collect.

Another ((( IDEA! ))) for those not wanting to do internal poles is make an amsteel wire frame that the tarp lays over.
    Tarp would be attacked with clips tied to this wire frame with prussic knots.
    To get the wall support you would cross the lines from the RL to the lower corners that are well staked.
    With the tarp just laying over this amsteel frame no extreme stress would be applied to the tarps D rings. Preventing a tarp material failure.

What do you guys think?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Another ((( IDEA! ))) for those not wanting to do internal poles is make an amsteel wire frame that the tarp lays over.
    Tarp would be attacked with clips tied to this wire frame with prussic knots.
    To get the wall support you would cross the lines from the RL to the lower corners that are well staked.
    With the tarp just laying over this amsteel frame no extreme stress would be applied to the tarps D rings. Preventing a tarp material failure.

What do you guys think?
    This is an awesome idea. I'd even put another stake in the center of each side of the tarp to create another anchor point for the wire frame.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    ...Another ((( IDEA! ))) for those not wanting to do internal poles is make an amsteel wire frame that the tarp lays over...
    I'm not able to visualize this as a way to push the tarp sides out to create more interior room vs using the side pullouts. Can you post a quick and dirty sketch?...photo of a sketch?

If the idea is just to support the tarp sides against snow or wind loads then I think I get it.

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast