Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret

First full night in my DIY hammock

So i finally strung up my newly made/in progress hammock in the house and went for my first full night test hang.
    It started off good i was very comfortable but as the night went on it got more and more uncomfortable. I was laying on a diagnal (maybe not enough?) and i was as flat as i could get. In the middle of the night my feet got a little tingly so i figured they were to high so i slid up to hopefully lower them. then i felt like the hammock sides got a little tight so i tried going on more of an angle but couldn't get adjusted right.
    Could it be the angle or sag of the hammock? I'm going to give it another go tonight and see if i can get it any better. If anyone has any ideas to try that'd be awesome!

Here's a pic of it setup (excuse the mess i'm living the bacheolor life temperarly ) Does the setup look ok?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Width of hammock?
    Length of hammock?

Hammocks are such a personal comfort thing. Customize the set up till it is comfortable for YOU.
    Try more sag (shorten the ridgeline), re-whip the ends, make a longer or wider hammock?? Some folks like a small pillow or pad under their knee(s).

Its all about your personal comfort. Keep playing and you'll soon have it dialed in.

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Width - 58"
    Length - 126" total so a few inches shorter with whipped ends

And i'm 5'8"

Yea i figured it's very different from person to person, i was just looking for a few ideas to try. I appreciate the input and i'll give them a shot.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    I'm 5'6 and my hammock is 26 inches shorter than yours, but 3 inches wider. I usually lay in is straight as I can falling asleep, but bend my knees ever-so slightly so my legs aren't stuck straight. In the middle of the night I might wake up to go fetal position but if not I'll wake up already side sleeping. Also, I don't put much sag in my lay, maybe a tad less than yours in that picture.

Foremost, took me several nights to figure out what worked, you'll find your middle ground with a little more practice.
    Translate Earth
    Create moments to let Earth teach
    Earth Avatar in training

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Well last night i tried a few things. first i took the ridgeline off completely and tried it for a little just out of curiosity and that was no better. So i reattached the ridgeline but made it a few inches shorter giving me a little more sag. at first it didn't feel much different but i left it that way and gave it a shot through the night. I've got to say it was one of the best nights sleep i've had in a while. I think i only woke up once or twice to readjust quick and i was back out in no time. I love it!
    A hammock may become my new bed full time. I have a handmade south american hammock that i got while on deployment down there i may hang up for a full time indoor hammock.
    now that i got that adjusted right time to start making some addons for it! thanks for the advice guys.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Glad you found your sweet spot. My opinion is that switching to a hammock after a lifetime of a bed takes some time and adjustment. I'm a side sleeper and can't sleep on my back in a bed AT ALL. I stop breathing. In my hammock I seem to breath ok. I guess because its more of a reclining position.

The other thing is having to pee...more than once...during the night. I don't have that issue in my bed.

hang on...
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    Does the setup look ok?
    In this picture, was your head on the left or right end?
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    In this picture, was your head on the left or right end?
    on the right. i realized my food end is maybe an inch or 2 lower then the head end but i actually don't have any issue sliding down now that put a little more sag in it and found good sleep positions. When i setup in the woods though i'm going to try having the foot end a little higher and see if it makes any difference. I would change it now but i'm temp renting this condo and i already shouldn't have put any holes in the wall!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    on the right. i realized my food end is maybe an inch or 2 lower then the head end but i actually don't have any issue sliding down now that put a little more sag in it and found good sleep positions. When i setup in the woods though i'm going to try having the foot end a little higher and see if it makes any difference. I would change it now but i'm temp renting this condo and i already shouldn't have put any holes in the wall!
    Foot end higher makes a huge difference. It might seem counter-intuitive, but give it a try. What it does is put your feet more towards the middle of the hammock where there's tons of room and gets them off the calf ridge. Try it and you'll find the sweet spot pretty quick. If you just take the setup you have in that picture and lay in it the other direction, you'll see.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Glad you found your sweet spot. My opinion is that switching to a hammock after a lifetime of a bed takes some time and adjustment. I'm a side sleeper and can't sleep on my back in a bed AT ALL. I stop breathing. In my hammock I seem to breath ok. I guess because its more of a reclining position.

The other thing is having to pee...more than once...during the night. I don't have that issue in my bed.

hang on...
    I too find that I have to pee more while in a hammock. There was a recent thread on this and I'm interested to know if it's mental or physical.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast