Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Streamline,

Thanks for posting the measurements, it was really helpful. The non-porch side of the tarp looks a lot more massive than the measurements.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    You are right, it does. It feels a lot bigger in person as well.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    I finally pulled the tarp back out and measured it. Let me know if this answers your questions.

One full width of grey and a partial of black. I want to say I got the fabric from diygearsupply but may have gotten the black from seattle fabrics due to needing orange at the time.

I am thinking hard on selling this and making a new version without the edging. Keep your eyes out on the for sale section.
    I'm getting ready to make a new tarp and was looking at this design and had some questions.
    First - how do/did you like the coverage? Was it enough on the 41" side? My previous designs (DIY gear supply) had 60" on both sides.
    Second - It looks like something is wrong with your measurements in this drawing. The top (in this drawing) is labeled as 71" and the bottom is labeled 72", but the bottom looks significantly smaller than the top. I'm guessing that it might be 91"...is this why you added a tie-out in the middle of this side?
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Ah, didn't notice that. I will have to re-measure. You are correct, the long side is much longer and this is why I added an additional tie-out. This side provides significant protection from the wind/rain.

As for performance, I have been very happy with it. I am getting ready to post it in the FS forum as I have been going to the ground more and more. The above design is great for hanging, but if there is blowing rain and you are on the ground, there is a chance of it getting to you.

No fear, I am still a hammocker for life, but I have some trips planned that may require me to use the hammock as a bivy and I want a rectangular design so I can fold the doors in. I have also lightened up the rest of my gear to the point of being ok with going a little larger with the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    Ah, didn't notice that. I will have to re-measure. You are correct, the long side is much longer and this is why I added an additional tie-out. This side provides significant protection from the wind/rain.

As for performance, I have been very happy with it. I am getting ready to post it in the FS forum as I have been going to the ground more and more. The above design is great for hanging, but if there is blowing rain and you are on the ground, there is a chance of it getting to you.

No fear, I am still a hammocker for life, but I have some trips planned that may require me to use the hammock as a bivy and I want a rectangular design so I can fold the doors in. I have also lightened up the rest of my gear to the point of being ok with going a little larger with the tarp.
    Sounds like you're going for gram weenie bliss! My son prefers it that way. He just uses a 10' x 8' tarp (with cat cuts on the side) with a hiking pole and some Tyvek to throw his bag on. But for max coverage from blowing rain and overall comfort/protection you just can't beat a 4-season tarp. If you add the pole mod, there's so much room that it almost feels like cheating; and you're only adding a few ounces. Suggest taking a look at DIYGearSupply or Sunkmail's plans for their 4-season offerings.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Loving the sound of that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123