WBBB / WWM
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..

In a Pinch... thoughts on bottom insulation

So I'm heading out this weekend but have recently sold off my UQs with my new ones not due for a while.

The temp. is suppose to drop to 18* - 13*. At the moment, I'm working with two ancient thermarests. I have no clue to their model or R value. One is a regular full length, the other 3/4. Together, I'm getting roughly 3.5" of stack but that means nothing. I also have a reflectix sun shield. I've only used this for car duty so I have no expectations.

I'll have my 0* bag with me and will pack my sock. I'm not sure what I'm in for as I've never solely used pads.

Outside of buying a neoair xtherm, anyone have some thoughts / ideas. I feel I may be better off going to the ground.

GG

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Not really up on the air pads, but CCF will get most to around 20, the rest probably 30. As with most pads, shoulders and side of the thighs still remain cold spots. You might be able to sleep on your puffer coat, behind head and shoulders to help there. Underneath you won't gain much, where you compress the insulation, but around the arms, and shoulders there should maintain enough loft to chase the cold. Works for me anyway.

A few addition pieces of Reflectix, think sit and foot pads, can help under the butt and in the footbox to keep the toes toasty. Additional or heavier base layers, Dedicated Sleep Attire, Hat, Hood, Down Booties, Gloves, Down Sleeves, Wristies, Buffs, extra clothes. Any or all of that you might have already, should help you push things, while keeping reasonably comfortable.

Keep the wind off with a good well pitched tarp, and hunker down
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg Incubator
    Suspension
    WWBB stock
    I am hanging this weekend with 2 pluq's and and air pad inside with a 40deg inside of a 0deg bag. Sleeping with base layer and wool socks. Weather man says it's going to be 10degs at night. This should be interesting.
    Scoutmaster troop 4312 Jackson, MI

If it's not fun, don't do it

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    criss-cross the two pads, with the short one cross ways. This will give you double protection in the core area and eliminate cold spots at the shoulders. The cross pad may stick out a bit, but so what?

Sgt Rock claims this set up will go way cold. You should be good.
    grinder

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Doubt it will take him that low, but crossing the two partial CCF's in a T is a great suggestion. It appears the OP is intending on going with air core pads, not CCF.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB / WWM
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..
    The pads worked surprisingly well tho additional width would have really made things better. 20" kept me on guard. I will say using them flatten out the lay in my BB and provided a very comfortable /defined position. Tho when the cold came through, it was an obvious move. More so than with a quilt.

Final kit was OES Deluxe with doors, WB sock, the use of two Thermarest's tied together (I believe they may have been early generation 4 season prolite pads), reflectix sun shield, two jackets layered and zipped around the foot end, 0* bag, L7 pant.

I'd guess this set up to be roughly 3lb heavier than a 0* incubator but it worked well. The L7 pants are beasts. Very warm but heavy and do not pack very well. The WB sock was great but I tend to get Claustrophobia with it. I'm not sure what the Temps. actually hit but would guess low single digits with windchill.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    reflectix!!!!!!!

• + New Posts