Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    **shadowmoss notes the use of the term 'less rainy season' for summer and whimpers softly**

Funny, I used to actually like rain...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Questions: At the NPS campgrounds will I be hassled when I put up my hammock? I've seen no mention of anything either way on any sites. Also, do you know about State Rec areas and hammocks? There is one between me and Mt. Rainier that I've thought about running over and doing an overnighter in to test gear. Also, the county campgrounds along the shore north of 101, any ideas on their rules regarding hammocks? I stopped by the lighthouse one (I'm not even going to try to spell it from memory, starts with a D and is east of Port Angeles), and no one was around on a late Sunday afternoon to answer questions in the campground. I'm planning on begging forgiveness if hassled and taking my (cough) tent as a backup.

Will my yearly pass ($80 one, forget the official name) pay for camping, or just admission?

If it really is the President's Sale at REI next weekend I may not go over as far as Ozette (especially since the bridge to get there from the north will be closed), and plan to go up to Seattle REI and get a bear cannister. As much as I want to get out around here this, ummm, 'less rainy season', I may as well have the right gear.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    sm--
    I can't finish this before I gotta go. A few Rangers on the Elwha and one on the Boggie have used hammocks since I introduced them in 2004 while I worked in the park.

Virtually everyone used to know of that but that was then .. so hassle in the bc is unlikely but not impossible ... use big huggers and try to avoid wrapping on tree moss. People and things change.

An additional fee will be charged at some if not all campgrounds ... free in winter but I think that's over.... the spring peepers seem to think so.

The state and county parks ... some of them are real purty .. do no know the rules and suspect they don't either. 'Dungness' is the word.

If you plan to camp where there are bear wires AND few raccoons (cougar chow) you can hang your food w/o a bear can. On the coast they think coons can get to any hung food hence the hard sided container rule in some areas. We both have full size (7day) and 1/2 size (4day) bear cans + we each have Ursaks.... the answer to the obvious question is 'goats' and the park's POV and experiences. Cans can be rented.

Gotta go.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    SM--
    A quick followup.
    Contact the WIC for a Trip Planner Map which reveals campsite and food protection guidelines.

You could go the southern route to the Quinault (if open) and esp the Hoh (Elk!) in adequate weather. Personally I avoid the coast muck until July-August and even then you'll get wet and muddy boots....there are aspects of hiking the coast that are not physically difficult or require unique skill but are mentally challenging for some .... the rope ladders....to go up and down the mud cliffs....don't worry there are hand ropes to help.
    Best
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 04-27-2009 at 11:12.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12