HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line

A Summer of Leisure Ruined

This coming summer I planned to establish a large garden, paint the house and other stuff like that with approx 2 or so BP trips each month of 3-4 days each.

But yesterday Spousette accepted a job as Backcountry Ranger in the local LARGE(!) National Park and I am “expected” to join her on 2 tours/month of about 10 days each.

It coulda been worse … she coulda tried to help me with the garden and painting!

The Hammock Part? --- I exclusively use a hammock BUT she wants to rely on her 1 person tent ... a MSR Hubba. Occasionally she naps in my hammer but the knots and bizarrness are off-putting. The Garda Ring Thing might help now. One or two of the DIY Mutts will be conveniently cached for her re-evaluation.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Wow, too bad for you.

I wish I had problems like that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Some people's problems are other people's dreams....

Hammock
    HHUL & Clark NA & WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Wintertarp
    Insulation
    SnugFit & Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps, DutchClips
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    But yesterday Spousette accepted a job as Backcountry Ranger in the local LARGE(!) National Park and I am “expected” to join her on 2 tours/month of about 10 days each.
    That, sir, is really terrible, horrific.
    What a shame. I mean, painting the house is much more fun...

Enjoy your summer!
    Duncan.

Sounds like it could be posh, no need for a shelter if you can stay in those ranger cabins. Sounds like an excuse for a light pack?

TM

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I cannot find my response to a member PM so assume it was bollixed by me, so a redo is here.

The Hood Canal Bridge will close for 6 weeks on 1 May!

The 9 mile Ozette Triangle Hike, you mentioned, is a good intro to beach hiking/BPng. Other sections have some overland hiking to cut across the unhikable ‘heads’ … these trails can be really REALLY mucky this time of year but lead to fantastic locations… Trail Crew advised last week that all the blowdowns are cut out!!!

Both trails TO the beach are mostly on SLIPPERY boardwalks. The 3 mile beach section is on OK rock and sand and has Makah petraglyphs at Wedding Rock.

In this section I’ve only camped near Sand Beach I recall (25+ yrs ago) which is a little south of the the beach access point of the Ozette Trail. This is lovely but I prefer other places on the Olympic beach.

It can be very windy and cool. The vegetation in the woods in some locations is far too dense for a hammock or tent .. so hiking an additional 1/4 or so can usually fix that. In hot weather I hang on the windy side of prominent points and vv in cool weather.

I believe this section is hikable in high tide but you should research that, permits, water, food storage related to raccoons (hardsided container -- plastic bucket-- required not necc a bear can) and other topics:

Wilderness Info Center online info+phone#.
    http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wic.htm

Campgrounds--
    http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Best to you … if you backpack at all, plan to stay.... to be flexible long tree huggers should go too.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 04-26-2009 at 11:41.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
    Sounds like it could be posh, no need for a shelter if you can stay in those ranger cabins. Sounds like an excuse for a light pack?

TM
    WE will stay in-near cabins about 5 nights on most tours....if we did much more than that we would not be doing our/her job. I stay outside sometimes hanging from the porch, spouse usually sleeps in when available.

A Patrol means to hike much of a day and some days do trail work most of the day .. cut vege, trail-camp repair etc. Always check camp and chat with viz. Hard work but satisfying .... and I've got a hammer to fix the back at night.

"Posh" -- not applicable. The Mickey Mouse Club meet nightly in the cabins. ETC.

"light pack" -- I wish. Park radio + extra batteries, extra-maps, BIG first aid stuff, BEAR CAN, administrative paper/forms/book....sometimes tools and repair items for bear wires, toilets ETC.

On the plus side -- we can stage food at locations 1 and 1 1/2 days in, We can cache SB, pad, tent-hammock, stove and some other minor gear at 1 day in.

Thanks for the good quasi-question!
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 04-26-2009 at 11:51.

Ahh yes the government required gear radio etc, forgot about that! Enjoy your summer anyway, nothing like the NW in the less rainy season.

TM

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Thanks for the info on the hike. I'm going to try it next weekend unless the weather is really rainy. A little rain probably won't stop me.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
    Ahh yes the government required gear radio etc, forgot about that! Enjoy your summer anyway, nothing like the NW in the less rainy season.

TM
    Hey -- nothing quite like the high sierra in summer!!!(Except maybe the Wind River Range). Worked Sequoia NP east side about 10 years ago.

BTW Travelinman -- you are correct in this sense ... many if not most bc assignments are based in one location ... a wall tent or cabin from which the ranger ranges. While we could almost satisfactorily do this job in that fashion, more distant ranging is necessary to do a really good one ... cuz other rangers will be covering the close in bc while we often go deep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast