Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Did it rip the top half off as the bottom let go and slid to the ground?

I've got a Claytor as well, but haven't used it yet in a situation where I tied the fly to a different line so that this might happen, although I'm making mods to it now so that this would be the natural result next time I hang with it.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Wow... you're more forgiving than me. I'd be pretty peeved if a nearly-new piece of equipment failed so completely without misuse.

Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Wow... you're more forgiving than me. I'd be pretty peeved if a nearly-new piece of equipment failed so completely without misuse.
    Well it did slip out of its buckle because I forgot the half hitch which was my fault.

Also the bug net was secured to the tree so there was a lot of tension involved.

It would be easy for me to blame the JH but mostly I blame myself for forgetting the half hitch. Anyway I wouldn't have bought another if I thought generally speaking the JH wasn't a very good hammock.

Just trying to be fair.

Images
    That looks pretty bad. Short of replacing the whole bottom, I don't think I would trust and other repair.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cshama View Post
    Well it did slip out of its buckle because I forgot the half hitch which was my fault.

Also the bug net was secured to the tree so there was a lot of tension involved.

It would be easy for me to blame the JH but mostly I blame myself for forgetting the half hitch. Anyway I wouldn't have bought another if I thought generally speaking the JH wasn't a very good hammock.

Just trying to be fair.
    I'm with you on this one. Can't blame the hammock for this one. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I never broke someone new trying to mod it or by my great ability to overlook the simple things.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ

Just trying to be fair.
    Looking at the pics I thought it must have been the netting being tied off that cause the tear when the body suspension gave. Whats strange to me is that the netting held and the nylon body gave, I guess this is a weak point that may need another stitch line. Were you using the stock shock cord and small black cord for the netting?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I already sent a paypal to Claytor for a new one because I figured it was my fault for not tying the half hitch.

I am 215lb so I am no lightweight.

Basically I got in the hammock and it started sliding to the ground. It started ripping along the fly zipper as the hammock slid down to the ground. After it ripped just a little it quickly started ripping even faster untill it was just shreds basically. There was no tear in the hammock before I got in as far as I know. Probably just a weak seam. It was about 3 months old and used maybe 10 nights.
    215 not real heavy,i wiegh 200 myselfneo
    the matrix has you

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    215 not real heavy,i
    Only in the USA buddy

By the way I tied off the netting with elastic cord and attached it to a tree(found in tent poles) so there was a lot of give in it. I really think that the problem was that the seam is a weak point and it couldn't take the various points of pressure as my butt slid to the floor. The thing that was weird is that it all happened very slowly.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i thought about this last night as i hung outside. so my claytor is lashed to the tree and the bug netting line is tied to the tree as well, seperately from the webbing. if my webbing goes, then the bug net will likely stay tied to the tree, at the very least resulting in the netting tearing away, at the worst ending up like cshama. is there a solution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    i thought about this last night as i hung outside. so my claytor is lashed to the tree and the bug netting line is tied to the tree as well, seperately from the webbing. if my webbing goes, then the bug net will likely stay tied to the tree, at the very least resulting in the netting tearing away, at the worst ending up like cshama. is there a solution to this?
    I thought using the elastic cord on the netting would help - but I guess not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast