Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Winter Hanging- Organizing all the extra gear???

Mods, I debated on where I should put this discussion topic.
    Was hoping to get ideas from the entire HammockForums community not just the donating membership.
    No hard feeling if you think it should be moved.

Usually during the first good snow of the year I get excited about winter hanging and go into the camping room to start moving my summer stuff into big plastic storage tubs and bring out the winter tubs.

Bug-netted hammocks, summer quilts, tiny tarps get stored.
    Open and covered hammocks come out, all my warmer quilts and bigger tarps get inspected for damage and repaired if needed.

Then there is the all important backyard overnight, snow on the ground, hang test. With headlamp buring and notepad in hang I start my winter gear list.

White gas stoves, snow melting pots, wood processing tools-bigger saw, larger knife, Axe? or hatchet?, items to keep them sharp, Ah, more sharp things + slippery terain mean bigger first aid kit, extra gloves, hats, long underwear, insulated over clothing, socks, extra socks, boots extra boots think around camp footware.
    Taking a breath, clothing to sleep in, hat, balaclava, gloves, socks, spare headlamp, spare batteries, reading material, Ipod, for the extra time spent in the hammock during the long winter nights.

I'll apologize now for my long winded intro.
    It's my feeble attempt as setting the mood.

So even with the best lay plans my first night hang in the snowy woods is always a nightmare. So many stuff sacks, can't find anything.
    I feel I spend hours digging thru the pack or pulk bag.

So, I'd like to know what you do to help keep your winter hammock gear organized in the woods?

And keeping with the O&B tradition here some picts.

Always worth the effort...

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My stuff isn't that much more difficult to organize in winter than it is in any other season when I'm backpacking. The only real difference is that everything that I carry is bigger. Then again, I'm not really setting up a "camp" as opposed to just finding a place to crash for a little bit.

The first thing I do when I get to camp is stomp down the snow and the area I plan on using. Sleeping, campfire, etc.
    Then I leash Tala up and go find some pine boughs to make her bed and go look for firewood. After that I really don't think I walk past a 30ft circumference of my hammock.

The only gear I bring that is different than Spring/Fall are snowshoes, overboots and a small saw. Everything else is just a more winter appropriate version of what I normally carry.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm just getting my stuff together. I'll be watching to get ideas on the best options to transport everything.
    I bought Fronkey's pulk before he left MN. It will get used this coming January.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    My stuff isn't that much more difficult to organize in winter than it is in any other season when I'm backpacking. The only real difference is that everything that I carry is bigger. Then again, I'm not really setting up a "camp" as opposed to just finding a place to crash for a little bit.

The first thing I do when I get to camp is stomp down the snow and the area I plan on using. Sleeping, campfire, etc.
    Then I leash Tala up and go find some pine boughs to make her bed and go look for firewood. After that I really don't think I walk past a 30ft circumference of my hammock.

The only gear I bring that is different than Spring/Fall are snowshoes, overboots and a small saw. Everything else is just a more winter appropriate version of what I normally carry.

Fronkey
    Hi Fronkey, That makes sense.
    One that winter hikes and just hangs the hammock to sleep would need less gear. Staying warm thru hiking.
    When you had your pulk and did outing like the Frozen Butt hang in MN did you bring extra gear?

I'm more of a winter hammock camper that basecamps a mile or two from the car and does day hikes from that camp.
    I really enjoy doing basecamp projects firepit, wood processing, laying back in porch mod reading and listening to music.

Last edited by OutandBack; 11-23-2013 at 12:32.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I actually find it easier to organize in the winter. I plan my trips where I can pull my sled. On my sled is a big duffle bag with my gear in different, easily identifiable stuff sacks. The duffle is big enough and opens up wide that I can see things pretty clearly and I know generally where I put things. Compared to the other season I have to empty the contents of my pack to get to most things.

S

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Fronkey, That makes sense.
    One that winter hikes and just hangs the hammock to sleep would need less gear. Staying warm thru hiking.
    When you had your pulk and did outing like the Frozen Butt hang in MN did you bring extra gear?

I'm more of a winter hammock camper that basecamps a mile or two from the car and does day hikes from that camp.
    I really enjoy doing basecamp projects firepit, wood processing, laying back in porch mod reading and listening to music.
    My gear didn't generally change too much except that I would just bring a lot more food like venison. Also, the people I would hang with brought stuff too.

I would however like to carry a small axe for easier fire wood gathering and probably a better saw. Firewood is also easy enough to come by where I camp, so I don't have to pull in a cord of wood like you do which is a lot less work for me.

Regardless whether I'm camping or backpacking, what I do when I make camp never really changes and the organization is pretty much the same. Stomp snow, make bed for Tala and myself, gather wood, sit, eat, sleep.

Your photos always look great.

Fronkey

nice pics O&B makes me want to get out there
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I keep my basic organization the same throughout the year just need a larger clothes bag and pay more attention to the things I put on top for access through the day.

This year I'll be using the Sawyer water filter so I'll need to get used to keeping that on my person so that it doesn't freeze. Haven't worked that out as yet.

Also as winter comes on, cargo pockets on my hiking pants have a bigger role in my organization. The main thing for me that stays the same in any season is consistently putting things in the same place when I'm not using or wearing them.

David

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually find it easier to organize in the winter. I plan my trips where I can pull my sled. On my sled is a big duffle bag with my gear in different, easily identifiable stuff sacks. The duffle is big enough and opens up wide that I can see things pretty clearly and I know generally where I put things. Compared to the other season I have to empty the contents of my pack to get to most things.

S
    I like the idea of one larger side or top opening duffle bag in place of a backpack for pulking.

Quote Originally Posted by HanginTuff View Post
    nice pics O&B makes me want to get out there
    Well !!!, it just so happens....
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83419

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    I keep my basic organization the same throughout the year just need a larger clothes bag and pay more attention to the things I put on top for access through the day.

This year I'll be using the Sawyer water filter so I'll need to get used to keeping that on my person so that it doesn't freeze. Haven't worked that out as yet.

Also as winter comes on, cargo pockets on my hiking pants have a bigger role in my organization. The main thing for me that stays the same in any season is consistently putting things in the same place when I'm not using or wearing them.

David
    Good tips thank you.
    If I'm melting snow I never filter it but if I'm getting water from a stream
    then I do of course.
    Keeping that thing from freezing and not leaking on me can be a chore.
    If possible I prefer melting and leaving the filter at home.

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee! Sweet
    Insulation
    Jar bridge
    Suspension
    Dutchie Whoopie
    Images
    How does the sled do on climbs and descents? I love the idea of it, but do you think it would work in the mountains?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast