Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images

Talking First Hang Done - Coldwater Creek VA 4.23.09

So we've finally had a change of weather here in Blacksburg, VA so I set out to get my first hang in. I parked my car just past Caldwell Fields and walked about 15min. along Coldwater Creek then crossed the creek to get some seclusion. I ended up setting up my hammock about 20min. from my car on the opposite side of the creek so I'd be close enough in case I had to bail, but far enough so I'd be somewhat secluded.

Here's a picture of the Clark NA setup on an embankment with a fire going nearby:

The night started off great! I had the tarp w/ the side furthest from the creek staked out with the other side flipped over to reflect some of the heat from the fire. I left it like this while I red a book in the hammock and watched the stars for a little while after the fire went out. I was worried about being warm and in the beginning of the night at about ~60* I was actually hot to the point where I wasn't using a cover.

Eventually I called it a night at 9:45pm after staking out the creek-side of the tarp and getting cozy in my cheap Wally sleeping bag and CCF pad. I slept like a log through most of the night until I woke up at about 4:45am because I was freezing. The temperature was in the high 30's/low 40's and I ended up sleeping in the fetal position closed up in my bag till about 7:15am when I finally got out and started a fire to warm up.

Here's a picture of the spot in the morning with a fire going to defrost my bones:

All-in-all I think it was a very successful trip aside from these few problems:
    • I couldn't get the tarp tightended just right. The very end of the hammock stuck out a tiny bit, the ridgeline was a little off-centered, and I couldn't get the creek-side nice and taught (You can see the crease in the picture).
    • I was super cold when it got down around 40*. I think I can fix this easily though, I was only using a wally CCF pad and a cheap $20 30* synthetic bag from walmart. I also used inflated ziplock bags in the NA pockets which seemed to help a bit but could be improved. I also didn't have any of my thermal underwear/undershirts/socks clean so that would have definitely helped.

Here's a picture of the problem I was having with the foot end of the tarp:

And here's the fallen tree I had to teeter across to get on the other side of the creek (There was no other place to cross 30min. up and down the creek without getting a little wet):

I think I'm going to try and head out again this Sunday to a similar spot since it's only supposed to reach a low of 55 overnight. I think I can fix most of the problems I was having just gotta practice a bit.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Congrats! BTW, that first pic is now in my TOP 10 hammock photos.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    those are some very nice looking photoes
    You didn't mention food... what did you eat that night? Sometimes I've noticed that with everything being the same, if my evening food is a bit less than usual, that I can actually be colder while sleeping that night. Sounds like your first hang is a diffinate success!! Just wait until your "first night sleeping in the rain"!!!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Just wait until your "first night sleeping in the rain"!!!
    True!

Still can't forget mine, specially since the people i was camping with were in tents. They had problems and had to wake up really early. Needless to say, they are now DIY hammockers.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

• + New Posts