Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

A Few Things...

Though I've only had one proper hang out in the woods, I was definately much more comfortable in my HH then I have ever been sleeping on the ground. Given the rain during the night, I was quite pleased to find that I remained dry along with all my gear and didn't have to worry about getting the inside of my hammock wet (which happens when getting into a tent.). Set up and take down was quite easy - all done under the shelter of my tarp (unlike the tent my sisters were sleeping in) and I was ready to go before they'd even removed their poles.

Which has led me to wanting to do some winter camping. I plan on getting a UQ of some sort during a Black Friday Sale. I live in a Ski Town, so have beautiful mountains to go camping in along with all the cold weather gear I could possibly need.

My only problem is finding a buddy to do this with. There don't seem to be any other 'hangers' in my area and I have no idea how else to go about finding any. I'll ask at the local Outdoors store to see if they know anyone who'd be up for it, but I am wondering if there are any camping forums or things like that that might be a useful tool to find fellow people to camp with in this area?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post
    Though I've only had one proper hang out in the woods, I was definately much more comfortable in my HH then I have ever been sleeping on the ground. Given the rain during the night, I was quite pleased to find that I remained dry along with all my gear and didn't have to worry about getting the inside of my hammock wet (which happens when getting into a tent.). Set up and take down was quite easy - all done under the shelter of my tarp (unlike the tent my sisters were sleeping in) and I was ready to go before they'd even removed their poles.

Which has led me to wanting to do some winter camping. I plan on getting a UQ of some sort during a Black Friday Sale. I live in a Ski Town, so have beautiful mountains to go camping in along with all the cold weather gear I could possibly need.

My only problem is finding a buddy to do this with. There don't seem to be any other 'hangers' in my area and I have no idea how else to go about finding any. I'll ask at the local Outdoors store to see if they know anyone who'd be up for it, but I am wondering if there are any camping forums or things like that that might be a useful tool to find fellow people to camp with in this area?
    Right here…Colorado Winter Hang…..https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83419
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Already been in that thread Shug - no car and that one is 130 miles away. Thanks though.

Hammock
    1.1 dble WBBB,DIY also
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    check trip planning in your area as shug has pointed out. Friends and family think I am crazy to solo backpack. On my birthday (the big 50 ) I met and backpacked with forum members and it was great. I can`t always go but DO NOT let that stop you from going HAPPY HANGING!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For a first winter Hang, the idea of having a buddy with me puts me a little more at ease since it provides a safety net of sorts. Won't have to worry about bears (just Cougars and Coyotes) but the whole cold thing or if I get injured.

The lack of car limits me in regards to where I can go. My current 'spot' takes you up about 1000ft in the first mile or so - several switchbacks, basically climbing up a large waterfall-ish area (giant boulders that the river goes down) before getting to level ground (a valley with beaver dams) that you hike up. I think camp site is around 9 - 10,000 ft elevation.

I do occasionally like company when camping - makes half the work and twice the fun. I've only ever gone camping with groups of people in the past and am not quite comfortable going out on my own yet.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    mc- check this out, maybe there is something there for you?? The Sopris Adventure Club might be a perfect fit.

Aspen MeetUp page
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Add yourself to the list of hangers in Colorado. This spreadsheet from Flatline may help you to get in contact with others and/or you can also start a hang. They come to you

Link to Flatline's thread --> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27048
    Direct link to spreadsheet --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&hl=en#gid=0
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 11-25-2013 at 18:23.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the links - I'll give them both a try. Aspen is small and migrant enough that the typical things like meetups etc don't really work too well.

Ironic that the previous two states I've lived in (NJ and FL) have more people on that list then CO!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    In addition let me suggest you do your first winter hang in your back yard. Winter can have it's problems... ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    northermark makes a good point...practice once or twice before heading out.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast