Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    The 210 D oxford nylon hammock and 10' long 1600 lb. test polyester rope should hold you. I see it comes with 1 1/2 inch tree huggers - I have both 1 1/2" and 2" huggers and the 2" huggers seem much stronger. Also, a lot of parks require a min of 2" huggers.
    If you order direct from HH you might want to ask for 2" tree huggers. If not, just try what you get and if you don't trust the 1 1/2 inch ones order the bigger ones from a HF cottage vender.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I have an Expedition. I weigh 170 and am 6ft tall. Its too small. Oh, it works ok (sort of) but it is pushing the envelope. Having a hammock is about comfort, not suffering. I wasn't suffering but I bought something bigger and things were much better. The issue about fit in gathered end hammocks has a lot to do with shoulder constriction. If you are wide and heavy you need a big hammock or you are going to get crushed across the shoulders and will be miserable. In the Hennessy line you need the Explorer at least. Hennessys are very well made, they will not break but if you buy too small I guarantee you will be sorry.
    Last edited by Yakfoot; 11-26-2013 at 00:59.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakfoot View Post
    I have an Expedition. I weigh 170 and am 6ft tall. Its too small. Oh, it works ok but it is pushing the envelope at 6ft/170 which means I bought something bigger. I would have been better off getting the Explorer. One of the problems you run into with gathered end hammocks is shoulder constriction. If you are wide and heavy you will get really crushed. Hennessy's are very well made, they won't break but you will be sorry if you by too small. You need to be looking at the Explorer or Safari if you want a Hennessy.
    I'm 5'10", 160 lbs. and the Expedition Asym Zip is too small for me. It was my first hammock, and for about a year I thought it was the bee's knees. Then I started using 11 ft. hammocks with independent bugnets and have never looked back. The 11 ft. hammocks are just light years ahead in comfort, for me.

My poor Hennessy never gets to go out on trips anymore - even my kids don't want to use it. It's a darned good hammock, but probably the least comfortable of the ones I have tried. I think it would probably be good for someone up to about 5'8"; after that I'd go to a longer Hennessy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

Weight limits on hammocks.

I have been camping in tents for the last couple of years. I am not a man of little stature, so getting up off the ground has gotten very old. I have been looking at various hammock on the market and some of the scouts in my sons troop tried to talk me into an ENO DN. My only concern was the fact that the hammock was only rated for 400 lbs. As I said I am not a little man and weigh around 340 lbs. I prefer to have more overkill than just enough. I bought a Kammok Roo and the Python straps which are rated for 500 lbs. and have been happy so far. The scout troop is getting ready to go on our first camp out and I will be camping with my Kammok and look forward to enjoying being off the ground. I am going to try to at least show up for a day at the Palmetto State Hangers hang next week. I am open for suggestions on UQ, TQ, and bug nets. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The ENO DN will hold you with no problem. If Capt Smiley is at the Palametto Hang then check out this rig as he is will over 340 lbs
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The weight ratings on the Hennessies are very conservative (which makes sense from a liability standpoint). I've had ~400 or so in my Explorer Ultralight before with no ill effects aside from it being a bit more stretchy than I'd like. Now, that wasn't for more than an hour (lounging with your wife is fun in an hammock but sleeping with her is not unless both of you are contortionists), so I can't say just how well it would've held up overnight.

The problem with shorter hammocks is not the claustrophobic feeling (I'm mildly claustrophobic, but it's triggered more by crowds than tight spaces due to the movement into and out of my personal space), it's the lack of a flat lie. Your knees and shoulders will not thank you if you have an hammock that you can't lie flat on; one, the other, or both will be uncomfortable.

It's worth picking up a slightly larger hammock (though there are many hammocks on the market right now that are reasonably priced at the same dimensions as the Hennessy line; I recommend some shopping around before making a final decision) for the comfort factor, especially if you're broad-shouldered and tall. I'm 6' and range from 185 to 205 depending on my fitness level, and I find the Explorer line from Hennessy to be "just enough" for comfort. Take a look around at other options before making your final decision; I think you might be able to find something that fits you better. If not, then I still recommend the Explorer line over the Expedition line. The difference in comfort for someone your size is going to be worth the extra weight, bulk, and cost.

Other manufacturer options for you (in no particular order; if I miss one or more of our fine cottage vendors, I apologize in advance):

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/
    http://buttinasling.com/
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/
    http://www.wildernesslogics.com/

Also, if you're able to DIY:
    http://diygearsupply.com/ (both materials and free plans)
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12