Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New and need hammock advice

I'm new here I want a Hennessy I was thinking about getting a particular model friends have and are happy with so I plan to backpack but I'm 270lbs I'm losing weight the model I want is smaller in size and weight but the weight limit is rated for 250 I read these are made with a 20% safety factor that being said is 30 lbs for a short period of time going to make a Jurassic difference I want to avoid going to a bigger heavier hammock if at all possible. Has anyone else pushed the limits in a similar situation thanks?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    the hammock may not fail, but it will be uncomfortable.

How like it would be too small in size?

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I would recommend that you check out some of our cottage hammock makers, especially Dream Hammocks and Wilderness Logics. You will probably find something more comfortable. It's nice to be able to buy the package from Hennessey, but what if you regain the weight or have a dog or child jump in with you? Oh, welcome to the forums from SC.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    take your time and research some 11 foot long hammocks ... the extra space & length is worth the extra few ounces - to me at least.
    -Turtle Creek

I'm more concerned about space of the total packed up hammock in my pack vs the weight as far as space I'm like reverse of claustrophobic I feel comfortable being in tight spaces so that parts not an issue I just don't want to make the purchase if won't be strong enough for 270 lbs and that difference in capacity is almost 100 bucks

New and need hammock advice

I just went through the same thing. So I'm no authority on it at all. Except I understand your problem. I read on this forum for four months and ask a lot of questions I to am larger. Everybody on this forum has been good about advice. So I decided to do a DL Danger Bird from Randy at Dream bugged him with questions he has glad to answer. Chose material that gave me width went with 10' because I'm only 5'6". I love it everybody that's tried it loved it. Just my opinion. Everybody's got one. My experience was a pleasant one no regrets

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have the Hennessy Expeditions
    Height Limit: 6' tall / 180 cm Weight Limit: 250 lbs / 115 kg
    2 lbs 9 oz / 1160 g

And the Hennessy Explorer Deluxes
    Height Limit: 7' tall / 213 cm Weight Limit: 300 lbs / 135 kg
    3 lb 2 oz / 1420 g

I am well within the weight limits on both units but for my $ if you want the HH set up I would go with the Explorer Deluxe. It is way more comfortable than the smaller Expedition because I can lay flatter in it.

But more to your question, my brother who is well over 300lb sleeps in my Expedition every time he comes to visit. So far I would guess he has spent more than 40 nights in it because as a long distance trucker he stops in often since I am middle of his run. So far there has been no adverse effect but keep in mind that just because it has not happened with my specific hammock does not mean you will have same results.

Thanks for all the advice the one I was looking at was the expedition asym judging by the last post I think this may be doable

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter8253 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice the one I was looking at was the expedition asym judging by the last post I think this may be doable
    Have you tried actually laying in one yet? I am in the metro DC area and if you not to far away, you are welcome to stop by and check mine out. Also there is a NoVA hang the weekend after Thanksgiving. You might want to drop in there if you can. There will be more than a couple of there I am sure you can check out.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80039 is info on the upcoming hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast