Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images

UQ Build vs Buy?

I am struggling for a source of down I can afford.

Using all the info I can find, including CatSplat's UQ Calc xls, building a Full Length UQ just does not make financial sense.

18 oz of 850 * $7.00 per oz = $126, plus my time and all the rest I might as well buy an UQ, like the HQ Incubator for $279.00.

Yes I won't have the satisfaction of building it myself and bragging about that fact, but man right now I need some advice.

Build vs Buy

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    As with other forms of relationships, doing it yourself will take more time, and you may not save much money in the end. Looking at some down prices, I see that some of the bedding makers are likely able to hold down prices because they are not buying down on the spot-market. They have relationships with suppliers at older lower prices.

So, as with other "relationships", you can go with a pro and enjoy the benefits of skill that will take you many trials and errors to acquire.

Despite what you thought, the pro I was referring to, above, was a matchmaker, dealer, or outfitter.

Personally: After reading about the great care and planning I should take in installing a zipper on a 40 year old down vest, the plastic one of which had disintegrated on being used again, I used such skill as I had acquired from 20-30 hours of practice on the sewing machine. I shortened the too-long replacement zipper I bought, too, the exact length and right color not being available.

And I am not altogether disappointed with the results. Maybe a pressing will have it lie a bit flatter. If not, and if I notice, the few times I am in front a mirror, I'll take the seam-ripper to it, take more care of my thread tensions, and do it over.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Well if you are going to compare cost then make sure you are comparing it to an UQ that has equal amounts of down in it. Most UQs you buy wont have 18oz of down in it. Also, if your not that thrilled about MYOG then I would suggest just buying one. MYOG isnt for everybody. I like to MYOG and one of the perks of the hobby is I tend to save alot of money also. But I dont do it purely to save money.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Just very frustrated with the cost of Down, the numbers look great on everything else.

Also I am concerned that I am over thinking it.

Can I get away with a feather/down mix like 50/50 or 75/25, since I can get these on the cheap from pillows. I understand it will be heavier, but will the feathers push through the fabric, (looking to use argon). How much heavier will it be? Will it keep me warm?

So many questions

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    After making a set of diy quilts I realized that when it comes to quilts, it just makes more sense to buy. I have since put this logic to work and own two more sets of hammock gear quilts....and they are better and warmer than I could have made.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfanboy View Post
    Just very frustrated with the cost of Down, the numbers look great on everything else.

Also I am concerned that I am over thinking it.

Can I get away with a feather/down mix like 50/50 or 75/25, since I can get these on the cheap from pillows. I understand it will be heavier, but will the feathers push through the fabric, (looking to use argon). How much heavier will it be? Will it keep me warm?

So many questions
    I wouldnt. I would only buy the best down that I could find, but others may feel different. If cost is really a problem then I would consider alternatives like synthetic insulation.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Well if you are going to compare cost then make sure you are comparing it to an UQ that has equal amounts of down in it. Most UQs you buy wont have 18oz of down in it. Also, if your not that thrilled about MYOG then I would suggest just buying one. MYOG isnt for everybody. I like to MYOG and one of the perks of the hobby is I tend to save alot of money also. But I dont do it purely to save money.
    I am there with you on the MYOG. I just do not want to loose my shirt learning.

For example, I made my first set of Whoopie slings with line that was WAY too thick, because that was available. The cost was $25 in materials, I have since found a source for 7/64 amsteel made a few sets, learned and saved a few pennies.

My first two DIY Hammocks are from cheep 1.9 from Wally World, I have re whipped one of them a few times to change the way it hangs. Cost of these materials about $15.

This Down stuff is between $150 and $200 depending on how much. That is a very expensive learning experience, add to that I actually want to build an UQ that will get me to -5 or less.

Again I may be over thinking this.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    There is something cool about showing off a really complicated piece of gear and saying I made this. Getting into DIY for the cost saving was the biggest lie I ever told myself. But I really am proud of every piece I ever made.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg Incubator
    Suspension
    WWBB stock
    You can goto 700 or 750 down to same money. I have a down pillow that I am going to try to make my uq with.
    Scoutmaster troop 4312 Jackson, MI

If it's not fun, don't do it

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Check this site out--they build the shell for you, and all you have to do is fill the down and sew up the ends http://underquilts.com/ I bought a top quilt shell from them last spring--the quality is good, and it turned out pretty nice! One caution on down------I found it really challanging to stuff , but using the small packets from wilderness logics, it wasnt too bad. I have no idea how you guys do it from old pillows or even big bags of bulk down! (I guess you enjoy a challange? !!!) If money is an issue, maybe try a synthetic quilt for now? Or, if you have a bridge hammock, lots of people do very nicely with a insulated air mattress . (if not, might be cheaper to switch to a bridge)

I agree with dutch, don't diy to save money--do it for the creative joy of making something your self! (you also learn alot in the process!) Diy can also go terribly wrong, and cause lots of stress when things dont go as planned------ Its really smart of you be seeking advice and to consider all these options instead of buying all the materials and getting in over your head in the middle of the project --like I have been known to do in the past! Good luck on your UQ quest!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast