The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Consensus on best Winter Sock Material?

I am about to embark on a DIY Winter sock that I want for the Frozen Butt Hang this year in Finland MN, many who know the weather up here, it gets wicked cold. SO, what is the best material/combination of materials for this project? My idea was canvas outer layer, with polar fleece inner layer and velcro vents at head and foot end. Good/Bad let me know. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Talk to TZbrown as he is the only person I know that has had actual success with socks in Socks create so much condensation that they aren't worth it in my opinion and I have hit -20f while using one before. It was like it was snowing inside the sock.
    You will be camping in dense woods where wind isn't too much of a concern. The temps will potentially get extremely cold in that area and I would focus more on proper insulation than dabbling with socks. Also, if you have the time to get in practice, vapor barriers are excellent as well. They do take some time to get them down properly though.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Fronkey, I've had my current set up as low as -9* and stayed pretty warm, Just tryen to find ways to up the anti. (or lower it I guess) but I will try and get in touch with him. STILL OPEN TO MORE IDEAS THOUGH

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In really cold temperatures, cotton is recommended by some people here. A high thread count between 100 and 200 is good from what I have read. I was planning on trying one this winter. I tried a nylon sock last winter (-13*F) and as Fronkey mentioned the condensation can get pretty bad. My second night with it (-23*F) I left the zipper wide open so I still had some of the wind blocking effect for my UQ and from wind coming at me from the right. Cotton may be better but I have no personal experience with it but again, I have read that it is better suited to the low temps. I agree with Fronkey that really good insulation is a key component.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah I'm not concerned at this point with my insulation, I be use a pulk in the winter anyway so weight isn't my concern either. My plan was to use a cotton canvas type material for the outside I was really hoping someone might have found a good material for inside the sock that would do a better job holding what frost did get on the interior walls, to the walls so it didn't want to fall as easily.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Heres a thought...

How about a hug style sock that only covers the lower body?
    Thinking of how condensation is the issue, and most of that comes from your breath, allow it to escape naturally. The hug style sock would envelope the you from the neck/shoulders down.

JustJeff had a sock with a long zipper designed into it (many folks have since copied it). But the zipper allowed the sock to open and he'd stick his head out.

Hillbilly, I was fortunate enough to see TZ's canvas sock/pseudo tent. It packed huge and his major complaint beyond the weight/pack size was condensation. This happens whenever you create a microclimate. Many folks have tried to address the issue over the years with breathe tubes and vents of differing styles.

I have a hybrid socked hammock that is a new design. Still playing with it. But one thing I have done is allow the sock to vent by swaying the hammock slightly and adjusting the zippered entrance. The sway creates a bellows effect and moves the moist (albeit warm) air out and certainly helps. But if your completely sealed up (creating a warmer microclimate) and sleeping, its hard to make adjustments and sway.

I've done enough cold camping to know that even my tarp gets covered in frost from my breath. As will your insulation, eventually. Over an extended trip, you got to be able to dry out your gear.

Your next option is vapor barriers, but thats a whole 'nother thread...

Last years Ludington hang showed me how how bad condensation can be. My winter boots (big rubber style with foam insulation booties inside) became soaked after one day. They were still warm, yet I could sense the need to dry them. Easily done with a good fire. Condensation is a killer.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    All good advice thus far. As to fabric choice, I have found Pertex Microlight really does wick moisture to the outside surface where it evaporates faster. My next sock will use Momentum 90 v. 3 (more breatheable), which is reported to work in a similar fashion. I've used 1.1 oz ripstop, which is workable, but not quite as good. Nothing is perfect. Combine fabric choice with other strategies. I'd suggest using ripstop for a first sock. You may not need to spend $$$ on the "best" materials, as they are only "somewhat better."

For deep cold only, use cotton. Good luck!
    Last edited by WV; 11-27-2013 at 20:32.

Images
    For me it's all about proper venting and blocking the wind with a sock.
    No material breaths enough.
    Even mosquito netting frosts up from your breath when it gets below 0.

WBBB netting -19F pict is frost from breath. I use a black tarp so all the white is frost.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post

Hey, hold on here OutandBack . . .

Your thermometer shows you what to wear?!? NICE! All mine does is tell me how cold I am. So I have to ask my wife what to wear ... And she says "You're an idiot for even going out there!"

Guess I need to upgrade to a picture thermometer!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I made this CANVAS SOCK to the TED design, but I found if you don't put the flap over the top and even prop it open a little with a stick you still get good wind protection and it lets the condensation out. I am considering a ripstop sock that will be built w/o the top flap, it will just have the TED entry, should be simple to make.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast