Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6'6", 253lbs.... I have both a HH Explorer Deluxe and a BB...

When I used the Explorer Deluxe, I had to pitch the foot end just a little bit higher than the head end, and I put my head left of centerline and feet to the right. I also had my right leg over the left leg crossed at the ankles, and that helped me a bunch.

Fast Forward to the BlackBird. Head to the left, feet to the right in the footbox... don't have to cross the legs at the ankles, and I am very flat...

Hope this helps...

Randy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser161 View Post
    I probably will try a little harder to adapt to the existing hammock before I begin my sewing career, however--that would be a new and foreign skill set for me.
    "We Don't Sew... We Make Gear" vid series may help you out there. I have had good feed back from folks who say it demystified alot of the issues.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerRanky View Post

When I used the Explorer Deluxe, I had to pitch the foot end just a little bit higher than the head end, and I put my head left of centerline and feet to the right. I also had my right leg over the left leg crossed at the ankles, and that helped me a bunch.

Fast Forward to the BlackBird. Head to the left, feet to the right in the footbox... don't have to cross the legs at the ankles, and I am very flat...

Hope this helps...

Randy
    Helps a lot! Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    "We Don't Sew... We Make Gear" vid series may help you out there. I have had good feed back from folks who say it demystified alot of the issues.
    Great--thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerRanky View Post

Hope this helps...

Randy
    A question about the Blackbird--I know that there are a lot of options for ordering, but I haven't studied what they are--did you order yours larger than standard, or get any other mods that you would recommend?

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I am 6'3" 195 and used to us the HH Explorer Ultra light. The big issue I had was the velcro on the slit cutting into my leg. One out of five hangs it would not be a problem.

I have since switched to a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge which works perfectly for my size

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser161 View Post
    Thank you. I like keeping the view outside that the HH offers, but which I understand the bridge hammocks and the BB would reduce or eliminate. Thus, I am beginning to feel that a DIY gathered-end hammock, longer/wider than my current HH, is a solution worth pursuing. I probably will try a little harder to adapt to the existing hammock before I begin my sewing career, however--that would be a new and foreign skill set for me.

I appreciate the replies and advice I have received--this forum is an amazing resource.
    It sure doesn't hurt to have a longer hammock comfort wise. I am 6'1", so not quite as tall as you, but I always felt like there was plenty of room both width and length in the Exp UL. True I need something under my knees, but more to solve the center ridge/opening vs left calf problem than for knee hyper-extension. But I need this with ALL gathered end hammocks, and the HHEXPUL is by no means the worst in this regard ( that is, knee hyper extension).

Some times I think this hammock thing is all like trying on a pair of shoes- what fits one person just right may not work at all for another, even if both are size 12.

That WBBB is really roomy, both length and width it seems to me. So is my Claytor No Net and Trek light double. The Claytor is narrow but that causes my 210 lb frame no problems. But it is 10 feet long, and that gives a lot of head to toe room on the diagonal.

Getting or making a 10 foot hammock may solve the issue, just make sure your tarp can cover it. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It sure doesn't hurt to have a longer hammock comfort wise....Getting or making a 10 foot hammock may solve the issue, just make sure your tarp can cover it. Good luck!
    Thanks. Tarp is one of Brian's 10x12 in SpinnUL, so I should be okay on that count. However, I think I'm going to keep trying the HH for a while, until I am sure I can't adapt to it by hanging feet higher than head and using pillow under knees.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I am 6'3" 195 and used to us the HH Explorer Ultra light. The big issue I had was the velcro on the slit cutting into my leg. One out of five hangs it would not be a problem.

I have since switched to a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge which works perfectly for my size
    6'3'' and 215 lbs. I will second the JRB BMBH. I cant get flat in an ENO double which is a large hammock, but I can in the JRB BMBH.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    6'3'' and 215 lbs. I will second the JRB BMBH. I cant get flat in an ENO double which is a large hammock, but I can in the JRB BMBH.
    Well, if getting flat is the issue, I 3rd the BMBH. I bet that 6'3" is about the limit height wise though. Mighty comfortable hammock though, at least for me.

If room is the main issue, the BB and Claytor No Net and some others are mighty roomy. But then again, I( 6'1") find my HH ExpUL to be plenty roomy .

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast