Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv

Tips for a Too-tall Person?

I am 6'3" and 215 pounds, and I am having trouble finding the correct way to lie comfortably flat in the hammock. Mine is an Explorer UL, which has the 110" ridgeline.

I have experimented with hanging a little looser (maybe helps a little, not sure), hanging feet higher than head (helps a lot), and putting a pillow under my knees (helps a little), but I still feel as though I am too tall for the hammock--head jammed at one end and feet jammed at the other, and knees and head higher than middle. Is it likely that the hammock is the issue, or is it how I am using it? In the Hennessy models, only the Safari Deluxe has a longer ridgeline, and that is just two inches longer for a significant increase in weight.

Even if I am too tall, it certainly is better than sleeping on the ground, but I have not experienced the "best night's sleep I've ever had" that some of you report. I believe I would if I could solve this issue. I'd appreciate any help or advice you have.

Images
    Is that the longer of the hh? If so it is the one I had. I am about the same as you. It worked ok. I switched out for other reasons.

The ridgeline is there to give a consistant hang. I would pull it tight each time. Is it hitting your head and your feet at the same time? Are you laying on the diagonal? Head to the left and legs to the right.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB, HH Expd, Eno (it's a sickness!)
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti!

different hammock?

Cruiser:

I am 6'2", 185 pounds, so not too far off from you in size. I have the exact same Hennessey hammock, as well as a Blackbird. In general, I find the BB easier to get stretched out in...the 'footbox' area provides a longer area for you to stretch out in.

Just my .02...you might want to try one out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Is that the longer of the hh?

I switched out for other reasons.

Are you laying on the diagonal? Head to the left and legs to the right.
    Yes, that is the longest HH except for the Safari, which is 2" longer, and I lay head to left and feet to right.

What did you switch to, if I may ask?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by capref123 View Post
    Cruiser:

I am 6'2", 185 pounds, so not too far off from you in size. I have the exact same Hennessey hammock, as well as a Blackbird. In general, I find the BB easier to get stretched out in...the 'footbox' area provides a longer area for you to stretch out in.

Just my .02...you might want to try one out.
    Thanks--I may do that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser161 View Post
    Yes, that is the longest HH except for the Safari, which is 2" longer, and I lay head to left and feet to right.

What did you switch to, if I may ask?
    DIY Speer made a little longer than usual. The longer the hammock the flatter you can lay, minus the bridge hammocks, hh, and warbonnet (too a point). The length helps with other things on them.

I'll have to admit I have a blackbird, but don't have enough nights in it to comment.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Cruiser, I used to use the same hammock as you and I'm the same height. I had the same problem. My knees would get uncomfortable from bending the wrong way all the time. I've tried a friend's smaller Hennessy and the discomfort is even more pronounced. From what I hear, the Blackbird would probably solve the issue, but I didn't want to take any chances, so I made a bridge hammock that fits my height. That gave me a perfectly flat lay and the elusive best night's sleep I've ever had.

I still use the HH, but I do best side sleeping in it. Going into the fetal position makes me short enough to fit quite well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Cruiser, I used to use the same hammock as you and I'm the same height. I had the same problem. My knees would get uncomfortable from bending the wrong way all the time. I've tried a friend's smaller Hennessy and the discomfort is even more pronounced. From what I hear, the Blackbird would probably solve the issue, but I didn't want to take any chances, so I made a bridge hammock that fits my height. That gave me a perfectly flat lay and the elusive best night's sleep I've ever had.

I still use the HH, but I do best side sleeping in it. Going into the fetal position makes me short enough to fit quite well.
    Thanks, vitamaltz.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The safari is only two inches longer rideline but it is significantly wider. Enough so the supershelter does not properly fit it. It may be the width that you are feeling. But the increase in weight may not be worth the change. I went from a safari to an EXplorer UL because the safarii was just too big for my use. Plus I wanted to get into cold weather camping. As much as I love my HH hammock, it might well be some other brand or a DIY style might be more in your line.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, NoSniv
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The safari is only two inches longer rideline but it is significantly wider. Enough so the supershelter does not properly fit it. It may be the width that you are feeling. But the increase in weight may not be worth the change. I went from a safari to an EXplorer UL because the safarii was just too big for my use. Plus I wanted to get into cold weather camping. As much as I love my HH hammock, it might well be some other brand or a DIY style might be more in your line.
    Thank you. I like keeping the view outside that the HH offers, but which I understand the bridge hammocks and the BB would reduce or eliminate. Thus, I am beginning to feel that a DIY gathered-end hammock, longer/wider than my current HH, is a solution worth pursuing. I probably will try a little harder to adapt to the existing hammock before I begin my sewing career, however--that would be a new and foreign skill set for me.

I appreciate the replies and advice I have received--this forum is an amazing resource.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast