Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Great Advice Blaze. I really enjoy seeing your winter rigs.
    You spoke about feeling more ridge pressure when using an UQ do you get the same pressure with the Spear Polar Pod?
    It looks very narrow at the foot end so I wondered if laying asym was more of an issue with it.

The ridge is not a problem for me, though I can feel it. It appears when I put a full length UQ on the hammock (no more, and no less with the Speer PolarPod). I think that the Yeti is different since it only runs from the but to the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    All secure in Sector 7, Denmark outpost!

Haha. Well lets not get political now, though you got a point.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    Blaze, I really enjoy your videos! that looks like one heck of a winter set up. Also like the cabin there buddy looking like a little bit of heaven

A bit of heaven indeed, as in heaven on earth. And keep in mind, there is always a snake present somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
    Nice video Blaze. What make/manufacture is the hammock sock you have on your hammock in the video?
    Thank you

Warbonnet. The sock is from Warbonnet as is the Traveler Hammock. I love gear from Warbonnet.
    And gear from HammockGear.
    In fact all my gear from the New World.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Blaze, you mentioned a gap under your butt with the Polar Pod by itself. Is that because you are trying to use it only as an UQ rather than wrapping it around you? I don't have a Polar Pod (yet!) but have been using it's little brother the PeaPod for years, and in normal ( wrap around) use, any gaps beneath me are a function of how much slack I allow during set up. IOW, I can adjust it so that I have a big gap on purpose or so that it is snuged up against my back. But maybe that is trickier with the longer Polar model depending on hammock length?

No, I wrap the PolarPod around me, but unlike the standard UQ there is no shock cords pulling it snug up unto the back of your body. Anyway, as I see it now, the setup presented in the video is flawless, and it is what I would get, should I start from scratch all over again. And don’t forget that as with getting dressed, many layers of clothes is at an advantages compared to only one thick layer.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Hey Blaze; For me as soon as it gets down to 0c i switch to my winter yeti.

First time I try my HammockGear 20* Incubator as weather is getting colder, but I agree with you on the point stated.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to share - I'm looking forward to your next video:>)

Already got an idea for the next. Could be “As Winter Progresses, How To Cope With It”

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Good to see another of your videos pal. Good sound advice. Hope your time away from the camera is short!

Thanks Hawk-eye, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
    Thanks Blaze, I enjoy your videos.

You are welcome Traverson. Got one more up my sleeve

Best of wishes,
    Blaze.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post

No political-ness intended.

Just a nod to Shug's signature sign off line.

Carry on.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post

No political-ness intended.

Just a nod to Shug's signature sign off line.

Carry on.
    I know.
    Was just trying to be funny.
    Best of wishes,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I know.
    Was just trying to be funny.
    Best of wishes,
    Blaze

Gotcha!

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    Thank you for your reply. I really like the Warbonnet and Hammock Gear too, great stuff.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I really like the Warbonnet and Hammock Gear too, great stuff.
    Agree, even though it seems as if all the small cottage vendors are making top notch gear.

Best,
    Blaze

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    .............................................No, I wrap the PolarPod around me, but unlike the standard UQ there is no shock cords pulling it snug up unto the back of your body. Anyway, as I see it now, the setup presented in the video is flawless, and it is what I would get, should I start from scratch all over again..................
    OK, thanks. Never had such a problem with my Speer PeaPod, it is just a matter of me using the nylon cords on the end to pull it tight enough as needed. I can adjust it tight enough to be snug against my back or even to smash all loft flat if I wanted to. Or I can leave it loose enough for a 6" gap if I wanted, if using it in warmer weather or if when it is below the 20F rating if I want to add a vest or parka down there. It is the most versatile piece of gear I have ever owned, widest range of use. But maybe the PolarPod is different in some way? Maybe the extra length makes it harder to pull it tight enough on all but the longest hammocks? OTOH, this gap will leave plenty of space for adding other insulation like your HG UQs, to end up with an amazing amount of loft.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK, thanks. Never had such a problem with my Speer PeaPod, it is just a matter of me using the nylon cords on the end to pull it tight enough as needed. I can adjust it tight enough to be snug against my back or even to smash all loft flat if I wanted to. Or I can leave it loose enough for a 6" gap if I wanted, if using it in warmer weather or if when it is below the 20F rating if I want to add a vest or parka down there. It is the most versatile piece of gear I have ever owned, widest range of use. But maybe the PolarPod is different in some way? Maybe the extra length makes it harder to pull it tight enough on all but the longest hammocks? OTOH, this gap will leave plenty of space for adding other insulation like your HG UQs, to end up with an amazing amount of loft.

Don’t get me wrong Billy, the PolarPod can be set like the PeaPod, I presume, and when set as I always sets it, it has what looks like a perfect set. But unlike a full length UQ it has no attachment points at different points along its length for shock cord coming from the ridge-line to adjust it with and thus it leaves an air filled gap some where in-between my but and feet.

Anyway, I need a lot of heat resulting in a PolarPod with 12 oz of extra down.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Blaze, you mentioned a gap under your butt with the Polar Pod by itself. Is that because you are trying to use it only as an UQ rather than wrapping it around you? I don't have a Polar Pod (yet!) but have been using it's little brother the PeaPod for years, and in normal ( wrap around) use, any gaps beneath me are a function of how much slack I allow during set up. IOW, I can adjust it so that I have a big gap on purpose or so that it is snuged up against my back. But maybe that is trickier with the longer Polar model depending on hammock length?
    Here is how Adam from HamockGear has solved the problem, not on the Speer Pod, but on the new Incubators. On the older models the gab could be closed by adding shock cords from the UQ to the ridgeline of the hammock.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...5&postcount=12

Best,
    Blaze

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast