Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

$15 "cocoon" all-season tarp rig with door

I had thought about how to make an inexpensive and warm enclosure for my hammock for a while and finally got around to implementing my favorite idea today.

The path I took was to take a poly tarp and tie it around my hammock into a decently sealed combination of a fly, door, and under-enclosure. I don't know if something like this has been done before, but I am pleased enough with the results to share.

The results: higher ambient temperature inside the hammock. It was in the low 30s today and I was comfortable in the hammock (outside the sleeping bag) in a long sleeve shirt. I think it was in the low to mid 50s inside the enclosure after about 10 minutes. Butt was toasty with a pad.

All that is required to make this rig is 50 ft of cord (I'm using walmart paracord) and a 10x8 tarp (mine's the walmart camo one). I am using a 10' hammock, a foam sleeping pad, and a zero degree bag. Here's a diagram of the rig.

When the rig is assembled, the hammock is only accessible from the head. To enter, you must crouch under the fly from the head side, and then put your butt through the door into the hammock, and finally move the ridgeline over your head (bringing your head through the door). Once in the hammock, you close the door by routing (as in the diagram) the doorline down to the stakeline, through the bottom of the doorline, and then securing at the ridgeline (the "latch"). Closing the door like this seals the fly against the cocoon. No part of the hammock is left exposed to the wind. Undoing the latch knot at the ridgeline opens the door back up for exit.

Benefits that I see with this design: very low cost, an air-gap between your butt and the wind, highly weather resistant, and low amounts of draft. The cocoon part can act as storage or a place for secondary insulation like an underquilt. Less importantly, it also requires only two stakes to secure against high wind. It requires only 4 knots: two for the ridgeline (requires a ridgeline), and two for the door. It can be stored partially assembled.

If you guys have seen something like this before, could you point me toward it? I'm interested in seeing how something like would be improved (EG, warmer for cheap). Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; 11-28-2013 at 19:31.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' single Hexon1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DW Cinch Buckle
    Can you post some photos with this actually set up? I might help me see how you are positioning it over the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Sage TCF gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    ccf fleece down
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/biners
    was there much condensation? I too would like to see a pic.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That's a great idea!

The wind is the bear around here.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hey guys, I slept in it last night. Got down to mid 20s. Used my zero degree bag. Also had a foam pad and my buttoned down vest was used as a footbox over my sleeping bag. Slept in a single layer. Was a bit warm at the beginning of the night but it was comfy. Wasn't cold enough for condensation issues. Here are some pics from last night and today:

Foot and cocoon sides are closer in this pic.

Head-side and fly are closer in this pic.

Looking into the entrance.

Door is "latched" -- latch knot is the close one on the ridge line.

In the hammock last night. Latch knot next to my head.

Another view of the door.

Looking down the hammock from my head.

I staked the foot side of the fly so it would wrap under the cocoon. I kept the head side staked open a bit, but in a pinch it could be staked the same way for a wrap-around partial seal.

The sleeping system pictured (substituting a synthetic bag for my down bag) would be under $80.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; 11-29-2013 at 14:28.

So I did some fiddling and got it so the "shower curtain" making the door-side wall of the cocoon will slide all the way up to my head. However the fly part has lots of slack in it due to the way the cocoon gathers. The slack looks bad, but because the curtain is so big, the fly doesn't really need to seal against the door to protect well against the elements. This rig is less roomy, but acts more like a sock than before.

You can see the door starts next to my face now.

Looks like this from the outside when "latched"

However, when opened, it slides on the ridge line far enough to sit down in the center.

The curtain on the right seals against the fly on the ridge line all the way to my feet.

It looks as though someone didn't finish. Most of the slack would be prevented by having a separate suspension for the tarp instead of borrowing the hammock's, but I didn't feel like rigging one up today.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; 11-29-2013 at 17:55.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting idea. There should be enough air leaking to keep you breathing. I would use polyester sash/utility cord rather than paracord. Holds knots better and does not stretch compared to nylon. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Interesting idea. There should be enough air leaking to keep you breathing. I would use polyester sash/utility cord rather than paracord. Holds knots better and does not stretch compared to nylon. ;-)
    Appreciate the advice -- I left the last rig up during the snow that came down the last few days and it appears to have weathered well.

Does anyone know of a combined weatherized sock, hammock, & insulation system? Kind of like a MSS but suspended inside the insulation (so the bottom insulation lofts)?

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    CI: I'd love to see a video of you setting this rig up! PLEEEEEASE?!?!?!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1,7 DL + a DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly + a DIY.
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    CI: I'd love to see a video of you setting this rig up! PLEEEEEASE?!?!?!
    +1

I'm shure its a great idear, i just dont ondestand it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast