Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    I want to commit to this if only to get me to make my tarp and quilts. Hell, I may even make an entire kit; I've wanted a really beefy hammock since I first hung in my Grand Trunk UL.

Now, as I ordinarily use my rig for riding my bicycle to camps, and as my bivvy on long brevets opinion is requested. Would you go with a hex/cat tarp, or an assym? Space and weight are something of a concern on two wheels as I do not use panniers or a rack. Only a saddle bag, and a Wald basket up front. In that basket for camping go my billy-pot/alky stove, food(s), and the hammock rig. Extra clothes and/or tools go in saddle bag.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I don't have any bike packing experience so for what it's worth, most of the primitive sites at Mohican where we've had group hangs are a short hike in from the parking area, less than a mile. I biked in once with my pack on my back and hauled in a ton stuff shuttling back and forth to the car. One of the sites we frequent, #9, is actually right next to the mountain bike trail, often we hear bikes rolling by at first light.

Mid winter, nope hex or asym wouldn't be my first choice. At the very least have one set of doors to deal with wind. I've done a few snowy outings with my Maccat std and was lucky. Now if I bring the Maccat along on a winter group hang it's to keep the snow off the firewood pile.

David
    Last edited by Bannerstone; 12-15-2013 at 20:15.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    At 9 there was a young couple that hand hauled in like 50 lbs of car camping equipment it is only a few minute walk from the cars.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    I want to commit to this if only to get me to make my tarp and quilts. Hell, I may even make an entire kit; I've wanted a really beefy hammock since I first hung in my Grand Trunk UL.

Now, as I ordinarily use my rig for riding my bicycle to camps, and as my bivvy on long brevets opinion is requested. Would you go with a hex/cat tarp, or an assym? Space and weight are something of a concern on two wheels as I do not use panniers or a rack. Only a saddle bag, and a Wald basket up front. In that basket for camping go my billy-pot/alky stove, food(s), and the hammock rig. Extra clothes and/or tools go in saddle bag.

No experience with bike packing here either....especially winter; but I'm with Bannerstone in that you want a big enough tarp that you can shut up the ends, or a tarp with tarp doors, or tarp that has tarp doors you can add to it. With the cold, you'll want to be able to seal that tarp up as best as you can to help with heat.

Ok. Aside from all of that. I'm still hoping to make this, I need to get out, I want to see my friends and new ones I have yet to meet, and heck, I started this thread, and I've not been as active as usual (major guilt) ....I'm hoping I don't have to back out. My trail name may need to be changed to "Back Out" Just a heads up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Anyone else jumping on the winter band wagon for January....or do we think we're going to have weather like today. Heck, sledding last week, and now I'm pretty sure it's good kayaking weather!

I'm planning on being there because I heard 4" of snow forecasted for Jan 17th.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by robblandon View Post
    I'm planning on being there because I heard 4" of snow forecasted for Jan 17th.
    Excellent! We'll all go sledding!

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Looks like I have plans that Friday night. I'll try and make it out Saturday.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    So far, so good on my end!! The only Dr. apt. that I'm really concerned about ruining it for me is on the 14th.

I do hope to hit the ski lodge some time that weekend and going sledding, if anyone wants to join in, that would be great ...or snowboarding and skiing, whatever your thing is. If memory serves me right, it's only about 20 minutes away.

Some day, I will hit Mohican and actually hang out at the site the entire time ......who am I kidding? To much in that area to see and do.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    Looks like I have plans that Friday night. I'll try and make it out Saturday.
    In the past most folks end up bailing on Saturday... Just sayin
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast