Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    You made the right choice to go with the zip.
    I started with a bottom entry what a pita.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebums View Post
    Alright, that confirms my decision on getting the zipper instead of the BE. As far as getting a 2nd ridge line for the tarp, any type of rope/cord in particular you reccomend?
    You say most people will replace the suspension system, is this the basic ropes/cords that come with your HH? And what type of suspension do you reccomend?
    Also, I saw in the "for sale" section of the forums, someone had a HH for sale with a few extra things, one being what looked like 2 poles holding up his tarp which extended about 1-3 feet out past his hammock giving more dry covered room to work with, is that the SuperShelter? or is that an aftermarket item? I will link the post so you can see what im talking about if you don't already know from the description.

Let me say that I really appreciate your help and guidence Thank you!
    I own 2 HH and both are BE. That is my preference due to a physical issue I have.

If I might make a suggestion. Since you are new to hammocks get the basic package from Hennessy including the Super Shelter if you really think you want it but do not start doing modifications to the system until you have actually used the stock system.

You may or may not find the stock suspension to your liking. If you don't like it, you can always change it out later. I actually like the HH stock system and if I was changing it out, it would be for the Dutchware straps rather than the Whoopie set up that the ultra light guys like. So I think you need to better understand how you are going to use your HH before you start making modifications.

If you don't think you need to be cold weather hanging yet, then pass on the SS and wait to get whatever system you want to for cold weather camping. Personally I prefer an nice warm down UQ beneath me but you may want something different. After you have your new hammock and do a couple of test hangs in it, you will be able to make a more informed decision.

There are lots and lots of options available for you. I would suggest you do your homework before purchasing and for sure before you start buying items to modify a stock set up. If you have not already check out Shug's videos on You Tube. Check out Derek's site The Ultimate Hang. Ready all the "stickys" in each forum section here. They contain a wealth of free information that could save you a lot of $$ and time.

Just sayin...........................

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    First, I'm 5'9" 160lbs and I have used the bottom entry HH UL backpacker for 5 years. I like it a lot. I think that the "Explorer Deluxe Asym" would be the right size for you.
    You don't 'need' to add anything except a wide pad (at least 28" wide - I use Gossamer Gear 3/8" wide pad) and a sleeping bag. I have the stock HH tarp and it works, but the bigger tarp would be nice.
    Learn the knot (it's easy) then after a couple trips decide what if any options you would like - this is to limit dependence on extra hardware.
    They didn't have the Zipper option when I got mine - I like the simplicity of the bottom entry (and no zipper to stick/break). With the bottom entry the bugnet is always on.
    The only time I had a negative thought about the bottom entry model was while camping in Florida near the Everglades. I woke up in the mornings thinking 'what if an alligator or snake is below me'.
    Snake skins - I keep my hammock in the snakeskins and the tarp in a fishnet stuff sack. This allows air to he tarp, I can put the tarp up 1st and the hammock is out of the way in the skins. Some folks stuff their hammock and use the snakeskins on their tarp to allow easier deploying in windy condition. Somefolks keep their hammock and tarp in the skins - whatever option you choose is right for you.
    P.S. Used HHs are advertised on this site all the time or you can post your own 'wanted to buy' add.
    It's winter now, so why not make your own?
    You being over 6', you will need 4 yards of 54" or 60" wide nylon ripstop from Wal-Mart (dollar bin) and some soft cord. This video shows how I do it (no sewing -frayed edges are fine with me.), but there are other ways.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
    Search HF and youtube for videos on DIY bugnets and tarps.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Good advice already given. I think the HH is a great starter set, but I would order a separate ridge line for your tarp (get the hex tarp). I have the bottom entry and, like others, found it awkward getting in and out since I'm tall. I had mine modified with the 2QZQ mod #4 which makes the hammock perfect (zip entry plus remove/stow bugnet).

You will probably eventually replace the stock suspension but not a requirement. I have both the HHSS and a JRB underquilt. I wish I hadn't bought the HHSS now - IMO, the UQ is that much better.

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    My 1st hammock was a HH Explorer Deluxe with bottom entry. I bought it this past June. I'm 6'1" 170lbs. I've had no issues with entry/exit. I like the fact that the skeeters don't follow me into it when it's time to sleep. I also considered having 2QZQ do the #4 zipper mod just so I could have both options available.....bottom entry during bug season or side zip entry when the bugs are gone. Well, I opted to get a netless BIAS Weight Weenie Micro instead. It's ultra light & I take it if I'm using the HH, to use as a camp chair. But it's become my regular use hammock now. I really like & still use the HH, but I still have 2 options. Tarps: The stock asym tarp worked well for me, but I like the roominess of a larger tarp for cooking, sitting, bushcrafting, etc. if the weather is bad. I got the HH Hex to fill that bill & use a separate amsteel continuous ridgeline with some of Dutch's lovely 'bling'. I also want to "hang" year round. Since it gets windy & cold here in Mass, my tarp is now with 2QZQ having doors added. Suspension: Stick with what HH has for now, except the straps. I've found out right away that they are too short for a lot of the trees I wanted to hang from. I made my own 12' straps & I'm glad I did. If they are too long for where I want to hang, I just add an extra wrap or 2 or 3 around the trees. After a few hangs away from home turf, I incorporated the rings/biners to my kit. My HH is now up & ready within 3 minutes of site location. Cinch buckles are also a great option, as are others as your research will show you & you can make the change after a while if you want. Insulation: I started by using just CCF pads ala Shug. They were great for me during the summer. A member posted a SS for sale, so I bought it. Nice & toasty! But it was too late.....I was addicted! I now surround myself in down with a 0* Incubator UQ. Still using a Sierra Designs 15* sleeping bag that I'll soon convert to a TQ. I think you can't go wrong by starting slow, because there's a lot to learn & everyone has their own comfort zone with regard to their kit. The important thing is you found the hammock world & your level of comfort in the bush will be your reward. I slept in tents for 50 years & will never go back to the ground except for safety reasons. This forum is chocked full of spot on info & really great people who are always willing to share their experiences /knowledge. Glad to have ya & welcome.......from the "Wilds of western Mass!"
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm 6'1" and 160, so pretty similar. I've been using the Explorer Deluxe for two years now. Mine is bottom entry, which I love, especially with the monster bugs up here. It's rare to get any in the hammock with me. I used the Super Shelter since early last winter. Took it to -4*C comfortably. I use it all spring through summer. Keeps me warm and keeps the mosquitoes from getting me through the hammock. I do have a quilt set I'm waiting to stuff for extreme cold hangs, so about 4-5 months of the year.
    We used the stock suspension for most of the first year before switching to the biner and ring setup on my wife's and my hammocks. The three kids are still done with the lashing. I out whoopies on mine this year, and just made a set for my wife as well, but they're not on yet.
    Overall, I like the setup with the SS. I am making a tablecloth hammock for winter use, just for the sake of having breakfast from the hammock, which you can't do without a zippered net.

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    One thing that people didn't mention is if your area is a heavy mosquito area the BE gives the fastest method to get in away from them. You can always add the zippers at a later date from www.2qzqhammockhanger.com and have the best of both worlds. They do several different zipper mods for the HH.

one thing i would like to add. If you don't need the hammock right away take the time to educate yourself. There are terms and acronyms people use that assume you know. Once you get familiar with things than you can make an informed decision. I fine that some of the venders don't make things clear enough on their websites. All this makes someone new feel a little stupid, but it is just that a little more clearer communication is needed.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Hennessy puts together a very nice package. Not the lightest in weight by any means but really quite well thought out. The fabric used is quite comfortable (taffetta?). Zip entry is the way to go. Order it with the Hex Tarp as a replacement for the standard tarp. Hang the tarp on a separate ridgline, as others have suggested. Get snakeskins for the hammock and consider getting a second set for the tarp too (mesh skins would be better for the tarp though as the tarp might be wet).

Do yourself a favor and run over to Arrowhead Equipment and immediately order a Potomac underquilt for the HH. They are cut to fit the asym HH perfectly, and right now AHE will upgrade to Climashield Apex insullation for no charge.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-***-quilts.html

If you are a serious backpacker you will find other combinations better (lighter weight) but if you are new, the Hennessy is a great way to go. Don't worry about the suspension -- it works just fine. Get to know your hammock before making a lot of changes. But do get the Potomac underquilt -- forget the Super Shelter (my opinion only, of course).

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have to echo a number of the comments I have seen earlier here. If you are getting started with the HH, start with the stock kit and use it a few times before you make any additional decisions.

Also, you can certainly start with a pad in the hammock, but I only really started sleeping warm once I got the SS, which is really simple to use and works well with the HH. And it is lightweight and much less expensive than a lot of UQ options.

I like the bottom entry because of mosquitoes, but as has been said elsewhere here you can have a side zip added in later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast