Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchgear

Which Blackbird to get?

Fellow hangers,

I am going to order a Blackbird this weekend. From all of you that have more knowledge then me, which one would you suggest and why?

I am 155-160 pounds, 5'11'' tall. I am debating between the 1.1 single and 1.1 double. I do not think I need to go 1.7, unless someone gives me a good reason to! I am under the weight restrictions for all of them, but might be overlooking a reason to go with one over the other.

I will be matching this with a Superfly, so I hope to be set for a while! I do have an underquilt, so I do not need the double layer for a pad of any sort.

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    At 5'11 you are at the cusp of needing to go to the longer XLC version.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchgear
    According to the Warbonnet website, the Blackbird is good for a person up to 6'8''. Am I reading that wrong?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    It does say that. However, in an email to me, Brandon relayed to me that people 5'10 and above get more comfort in the XLC. With that said, I've seen post from folks loving their regular BB who are over 6'0.

I'm coming from a HH Expedition classic which I loved. I just felt like at 6'0", I was almost coming out of the ends. It is rated to 6'0" but I would say its good for under 6'0".

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchgear
    Size wise, I am accustomed to an ENO DN. The BB is larger than that, so I think I would be comfortable. I love my DN, and have more than enough room. I just want to have an "upgrade", and pass my DN to my wife so she can hang with me! Has anyone else out there gone from a DN to a BB who can compare for me?

Brian

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm sure there was plenty of 5'11" plus folk who were very comfortable in their Blackbirds before the XLC was recently released. I'm 6ft and just ordered an SL 1.1BB, since I had a vacancy in my hammock lineup for a lighter model.
    For you to go to an XLC it means an extra 8oz, minimum. Even going to a DL 1.1 BB is an extra 7oz. for which you gain nothing you need.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchgear
    I am confident in the standard length BB, but I am still on the fence about a single 1.1 vs a double 1.1. I do like my things to last, and I do have a concern about the lifespan of a single layer hammock. (I don't want a nice split down the middle....) I have been reading debates about going with 1.1 ripstop for children's hammocks, but not for adults.....

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    From the Warbonnet website:

150-175 LBS:
    Single 1.1, single 1.7 and double 1.1 Blackbirds or single or double layer RidgeRunner. In this weight range, you may notice a slight loss of flatness by going with the single 1.1 Blackbird, but you're still well within it's weight range and that can still be a great option if you're looking to cut a lot of packweight. In contrast, the single 1.7, and double 1.1 Blackbirds are going to provide maximum support and comfort for your weight, the double 1.7 Blackbird is overkill for you and you won't see any increase in comfort by stepping up to that model. Single or double layer RidgeRunner models are also appropriate for you.
    I don't think he would recommend a 1.1 single for people with that weight if he wasn't confident that it would be up to the task. As a matter of fact I think he probably figured in a safety margin - so I think you should be fine with a 1.1 single if that is what you want. The DL has the advantage that you can use a pad between the layers. Either as your primary insulation, or to supplement your underquilt if you want to use it in lower temperatures than it was made for.

Personally, I like double layered hammocks. It is also said that mosquitoes find it harder to bite through two layers than through one.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    i vote for double, but it is a personal preference, especially for the weight concious. i just ordered an xlc dl1.1 yesterday but i'm 6'2" and around 180. good luck with your choice.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

I am 6ft 175lbs and the double 1.1 seems to fit fine.I am really glad I went with the double. Like I said in the other post,It just gives you more options. Had a chance last week to use the superfly in howling wind and it definitely was nice being able to batten down the hatches.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast