Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM

Spindrift set up

I want to use the Ridgerunner, full length Lynx and the Spindrift on an upcoming trip. All of this gear is new to me.

Instead of setting this up in the field for the first time, I decided to pre-set it up at home.

Just need some confitmation that I am on the right track.

I removed the shockcords from the netting, and folded the netting up into its pouch at the foot end. I then attached the Lynx UQ to the RR. I removed the cinch straps and the cinch buckles and the apex buckles.

Then I slipped the hammock with the attached UQ into the Spindrift and lined it up inside there (no poles inserted). I threaded each dogbone through the corresponding grommets and then reattached the suspension on each end. Then hooked up the shock cords to the Spindrift.

At this point I figure there is no way the set up will fit in the supplied bishop bag so I put it in a small duffel

In the field I intend to rig the hammock, open the Spindrift door and reach inside to insert the poles.

Do I have this right? Thanks.

BTW, there were no suspension carabiners included with the hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You have the basic idea correct.

You can also pack the UQ separately if you like. It is easy enough to attach in the field with the spindrift on...hang the RR, install spreader bars, flip the whole thing over, toss the UQ inside, stick your head and shoulders inside the spindrift and attach the UQ.

Several of us have replaced the aluminum suspension triangles with Dutch suspension biners to make disassembling the suspension easier to install or remove the spindrift.

Ti Dutch Clips are a great for attaching the suspension webbing to trees and are currently on sale.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-30-2013 at 02:00.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    gmcttr: thanks -- good information.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are some videos from Brandon himself……
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Ok. The WBRR is set up with the Lynx 20 deg full length plus (I'm sorta cheating) an AHE Flamethrower partial as we'll. Spindrift is on. HHS Hex tarp is above. Using an AHE Ohyehe TQ.

It is supposed to drop to 20 degrees tonight. Looks like no rain and very little wind. I am in the forest at about 6500 feet.

First hang in the RR.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Temps dropped down to about 20 degrees but I was comfortable. The Spindrift definitely helped with the warmth.

Woke up several times due to pain in my right shoulder. I have had this problem in gathered end hammocks too. The hammocks (including the RR) seem to push my shoulders up a bit (sleeping on my back) and after a while my right shoulder rebels.

I think I should hang the head end of the RR lower than the foot end (last night I had them about even) and see if that keeps me closer to the head end at night as the hammock is a little wider there. I also might try a 26" wide pad and see if that helps.

The tarp is a Hennessy Hex with snakeskins that I thought worked ok.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Nice photo; nice set-up.

Yup, hanging the foot end higher -- anywhere from a few inches up to a foot, even -- should help keep your head on the 'pillow'. And a pad may very well help your shoulder, as well.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    ...I think I should hang the head end of the RR lower than the foot end (last night I had them about even) and see if that keeps me closer to the head end at night as the hammock is a little wider there. I also might try a 26" wide pad and see if that helps.
    Yes, raise the foot end if you are sliding down.

A 26" pad does indeed open up shoulder room. My old Thermarest camp rest works well. I got an Exped SYNMAT UL 7 LW because another HF membered stated it worked well for him, but I don't find it as comfortable. It's outer chambers are larger diameter than the others and this pushes my shoulders up a bit.

With UQs, I frequently shift slightly to one side a bit to add comfort to the arm on the higher side.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I visited the Dutchware site and have some goodies coming. Replacing the apex triangle with the Dutch biner looks like a great mod. I will be trying things out again next weekend and will use a 26 inch pad to see how that works. The comment about the Thermarest vs the Exped makes sense (flat is probably better for what I need).

I like the hammock experience in part because I can just swing my legs out and put on shoes in a sitting position -- no more crawling around on the ground (I'm 66 yrs old). Makes things nicer!

I thought the Spindrift was very effective in trapping some heat and yet there was no condensation.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I also set the spindrift up with it's own shock cord and mitten hooks so I don't have to switch them back and forth.

Another thing some of us have done is replace the amsteel suspension triangles on the RR with dynaglide to make them easier to feed through the spindrift's grommets.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast