Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    >I also set the spindrift up with it's own shock cord and mitten hooks so I don't have to switch them back and forth.<

Another good suggestion. Parts are now on the way.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    Temps dropped down to about 20 degrees but I was comfortable. The Spindrift definitely helped with the warmth.

Woke up several times due to pain in my right shoulder. I have had this problem in gathered end hammocks too. The hammocks (including the RR) seem to push my shoulders up a bit (sleeping on my back) and after a while my right shoulder rebels.

I think I should hang the head end of the RR lower than the foot end (last night I had them about even) and see if that keeps me closer to the head end at night as the hammock is a little wider there. I also might try a 26" wide pad and see if that helps.

The tarp is a Hennessy Hex with snakeskins that I thought worked ok.

I hang my RR a little tighter than yours in the picture---seems to give a flatter lay. Also, was the 5 inch extension installed in the head end spreader bar? That should help with shoulder pinch.
    Very smart move to install the spindrift at home first! (a major PITA in my opinion) You might want to check out some of the mods people are doing to their spindrift (my self included) ---adding a 2nd door to increase ventilation etc. Adds ventilation and makes it alot more usable if the weather turns warm Have fun ------its a great hammock set up!
    Last edited by stevebo; 12-05-2013 at 07:19.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I did have the extension installed for the head end spreader bar and I had the suspension at 25 degrees pretty much. I think I should have had the foot end higher as that would have kept me closer to the head end where the hammock is a little wider for the shoulders.

I am going to try a pad in the hammock sleeve next time too -- to see how that works.

I stated off with a HH Expedition that I like except I experienced pain in that right shoulder after a while. Tried a Clark TX-250 and had the same problem. Thought the RR would be the bomb but am having the same problem with it.

I will continue fooling around with different sags and hanging options and see how things work out.

One thing I really like about the RR is that it has structure -- I don't feel like I am sleeping in a bag. I also had no "tippy" problem with it at all. Also, getting in and out of it was easy. Love being able to sit up, swing my legs out and put on or take off shoes with ease. I find that at my age crawling around on the ground is less appealing.

Tonopah,

The first time I used my RR I slept like a baby and had no issues with shoulder pain. I was lucky on the first setup and got it right. The second time I used the RR I woke up with shoulder pain in both shoulders. I've found the setup is a bit tricky and requires experimentation. Here's what worked for me: make sure the foot end is higher than the head end, if its not you will slide towards the foot end and your shoulders will be at the narrow part of the hammock. I also found the foot end should be closer to the tree than the head end. This seems to keep you from sliding towards the foot end. The next thing that helped was to pull the hammock a little tighter, remove the short section of pole to regain stability. I've used this method on three trips now with great results (no more shoulder pain). Keep trying different setups until you find one that works for you, its worth the effort. I'm no expert and just started this hammock thing recently, so this may or may not help you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    just a warning to you spindrift lovers.... If you hang your WBRR too tight it will rip the spindrift. This apparently is a known issue at Warbonnet, but they do not let customers know.... which I do not understand! Mine ripped on it's first trip out, and when I emailed Warbonnet, they said they knew about the issue. They said they may post something online as a warning eventually.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I have the Spindrift but haven't use it yet. Did you sleep with the zipper fully closed or partly open for venting? Usually I hear there's always some amount of condensation so I'm wondering how you set it so you didn't get any.

Are you using the 30 deg or 50 deg Owyhee TQ?
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    just a warning to you spindrift lovers.... If you hang your WBRR too tight it will rip the spindrift. This apparently is a known issue at Warbonnet, but they do not let customers know.... which I do not understand! Mine ripped on it's first trip out, and when I emailed Warbonnet, they said they knew about the issue. They said they may post something online as a warning eventually.
    Thanks for posting this - I very much appreciate information like that. Can you provide some idea of what "too tight" means? What angle was your hammock ties to the tree before you got in?
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    Thanks for posting this - I very much appreciate information like that. Can you provide some idea of what "too tight" means? What angle was your hammock ties to the tree before you got in?
    I'm not even sure... it wasn't like a ripped once I got in type of thing. I went backpacking for 4 days and by the last day the grommets had ripped out. if you get in and have a hard time zipping it all the way up, I guess it's too tight. Like I said before, Warbonnet knows about the issue and said I was not the first to report this happening.

Also, the recommendation I got was to change my hang angle, but I do not find the hammock comfortable with any more slack in it...... the "pillow" that is sewn in becomes very uncomfortable for me.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I visited the Dutchware site and have some goodies coming. Replacing the apex triangle with the Dutch biner looks like a great mod. I will be trying things out again next weekend and will use a 26 inch pad to see how that works. The comment about the Thermarest vs the Exped makes sense (flat is probably better for what I need).

I like the hammock experience in part because I can just swing my legs out and put on shoes in a sitting position -- no more crawling around on the ground (I'm 66 yrs old). Makes things nicer!

I thought the Spindrift was very effective in trapping some heat and yet there was no condensation.
    I haven't heard of this mod. What does replacing the apex triangle with dutch biners do.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    I haven't heard of this mod. What does replacing the apex triangle with dutch biners do.
    See post #2.

IMG_3364 (Medium).JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast