Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I had a wonderful time, but I must admit, we are one sorry lot in documenting our hangs. One picture? That's it?

I had a camera - didn't use it.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Good time, good food, thanks to all who made the effort to pack in the good stuff and to share it with all.

This group actually woke me from napping in the hammock to make sure I didn't miss out on the bratwurst. Gotta love hanging with folks like that.

Learned everything we needed to know about hanging at Mullica River, many excellent spots. Several that I thought might be marginal actually turned out to handle several hammocks just fine. (Will update Pines hanging thread later)

Had a nice short hike in Friday night. Easy trail, stars were fantastic as there was no moon and clear skies. Campfire and coffee were waiting upon arrival. The grub was coming off the grill all night. Been to several hangs now, starting to recognize faces, meeting new folks and the socializing starts as soon as you arrive.

Story swapping late into the night, what's said by the campfire, stays by the campfire.

Friday night dropped to 19-20 degrees and when that campfire burned down it was time for that insulated hammock preheated with some water bottle goodness. Gotta love the nalgene.

Saturday morning I slept late but again coffee and grub were a plenty when I did make it over to the fire. A laid back breakfast followed by some tales of cold sleepers and I put out the call for a local relative to drop off some extra gear. Then we began the foraging for wood for the second night because we burned up all the stuff that had been pulked in by the young lads that joined us for the weekend.

Hiked out with SilentO and SS to grab the gear, which turned out not to be needed as we had a few folks packed it out Sat. Saturday had us welcoming HF members dropping in for a visit along with several more who were hanging over night. And again more food to be shared. 4pm came early and it was fire time once again, food cooking all night long. If you didn't get enough to eat, you weren't there. Generous people, cooking good food, well as I'm learning, it's just how HF members roll.

Temps were more moderate as we all stood around commenting how warm 28 degrees was. At some point it just struck me, below freezing and everyone was talking about how warm it is, these folks are geared up right and enjoying it.

We had plenty of time for more socializing, gear discussions, stovie talk and a few non hangers dropped by the campfire for a visit. Sunday morning I visited with those same folks and they were asking about the winter hang and talked about buying hammocks. Spreading the good word...

Sunday morning was cold enough to flash freeze my water as I poured it from the bottle.
    A quick breakfast, some fresh fire roasted coffee, packing up, saying goodbyes and it was time to hit the trail. I hung out, did a little camp maintenance, put a call out for my sherpa and took a nap. Sherpa showed up, snapped a pic of me napping and then we short hiked it out to Atsion. Another hang in the books.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Snapped just a couple pics.

The XLC and WL OMW by the water so I could have the view and catch that cool breeze in the evening.

Site 8 or home to a mess of hammocks and a couple tents, and the group fire.

Sun 8am, sun shining through the trees.

XLC, WL New River and the skinned OMW.

Flash freeze on the water bottle and my diy (old socks) wristies.

The kitchen with my $5 stove, worked like a champ at 20 degrees.

Morning coffee brewing up. The black bag in the background...heard nothing but good things about it.

Packed and ready to hang out waiting on my sherpa.

Still waiting...

Time for one last cup of hot cider.

How my sherpa found me upon arrival...napping

My sherpa, coolest sister ever, helped hike my extra stuff out, cooked me a porterhouse for dinner. All her kids are now converted hammockers and she has made it very clear what she wants for Christmas. And she will get that hammock, even if she is a Patriots fan...thanks sis.

Hammock
    DIY digicam 1.8 SL W/ knotty mods
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbling
    Images
    Awesome pics Ratdog. Always a great night sleep in the pines. Some great company for thanksgiving weekend. Thanks to all who showed up and made it an awesome time. See ya guys in January!
    "When somebody moves something in your house, you notice it. When somebody moves something in the woods, I notice it."
    -Tom Brown, Jr.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Oh, and many thanks to Tinkr and Black Foot for carrying in lord knows how many pounds of Brats that we feasted on Saturday night.

Hammock
    DIY digicam 1.8 SL W/ knotty mods
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchbling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Oh, and many thanks to Tinkr and Black Foot for carrying in lord knows how many pounds of Brats that we feasted on Saturday night.
    They were UL Brats, no worries.
    "When somebody moves something in your house, you notice it. When somebody moves something in the woods, I notice it."
    -Tom Brown, Jr.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkr View Post
    Awesome pics Ratdog. Always a great night sleep in the pines. Some great company for thanksgiving weekend. Thanks to all who showed up and made it an awesome time. See ya guys in January!
    Always a great time in the Pine Barrens with you guys!! It is funny how 29 degrees is totally warm!!!

"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in."
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzybears View Post
    Always a great time in the Pine Barrens with you guys!! It is funny how 29 degrees is totally warm!!!

"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in."
    You mean 19 degrees, right? That was the low Friday; 27 degrees on Saturday.

And Homer Simpson should be the official mascot of the NJ Thanksgiving Weekend Hang!

Things I learned on this trip:

1) Your legs hurt just as much from a 4-mile hike as from a 14-mile hike, if you're out of shape.
    2) You don't have to be ultralight if you have kids; make them carry the heavy stuff!
    3) Hanging in the Pine Barrens with actual Pineys is much better. They can call a relative to bring in extra gear if necessary. They can also be called to sherpa out excess gear!
    4) Underquilts are great in cold weather, but only when combined with a topquilt. By themselves, underquilts won't do the job.
    5) UL bratwursts taste just as good as the real thing.
    6) Dehydrated peanut butter tastes better if you mix in some olive oil.
    7) Night hiking is a lot more fun if you actually get lost.
    8) Isopropyl alcohol doesn't work too well in cold weather as fuel.
    9) Packit Gourmet has LOTS of tasty items. I'm adding potato somosa and the cheesecake to my next order.
    10) Finally, I learned that organizing a group hang requires that you commit to going yourself, regardless of whether anyone else shows up.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Seems like vagabound's fresh-roasted After Dark coffee was quite popular. Here's the link if you want to order some.

http://www.booskerdoo.com

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You mean 19 degrees, right? That was the low Friday; 27 degrees on Saturday.

And Homer Simpson should be the official mascot of the NJ Thanksgiving Weekend Hang!

Things I learned on this trip:

1) Your legs hurt just as much from a 4-mile hike as from a 14-mile hike, if you're out of shape.
    2) You don't have to be ultralight if you have kids; make them carry the heavy stuff!
    3) Hanging in the Pine Barrens with actual Pineys is much better. They can call a relative to bring in extra gear if necessary. They can also be called to sherpa out excess gear!
    4) Underquilts are great in cold weather, but only when combined with a topquilt. By themselves, underquilts won't do the job.
    5) UL bratwursts taste just as good as the real thing.
    6) Dehydrated peanut butter tastes better if you mix in some olive oil.
    7) Night hiking is a lot more fun if you actually get lost.
    8) Isopropyl alcohol doesn't work too well in cold weather as fuel.
    9) Packit Gourmet has LOTS of tasty items. I'm adding potato somosa and the cheesecake to my next order.
    10) Finally, I learned that organizing a group hang requires that you commit to going yourself, regardless of whether anyone else shows up.
    TEN POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!!!!!
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast