anyone tried making an under quilt from a 2nd hammock??

I'm just toying with the idea of using a 2nd cheap hammock with a down comforter as an under quilt? Anyone else tried it? Am I missing something?

Would just sleep on the top hammock with the second one w/quilt set just below the top hammock?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeb View Post
    I'm just toying with the idea of using a 2nd cheap hammock with a down comforter as an under quilt? Anyone else tried it? Am I missing something?
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.

You can do all sort of creative things when you don't care about weight. With your suggestion, you'll probably have a hard time keeping the comforter up snug against your body without compressing the down - it needs to loft to keep you warm and that hammock will compress it.

The cottage vendors who make underquilts, and DIYers, typically use shock cord to snug the UQ under the hammock. There are also clips and such that can keep it snug against the hammock - you should look in that direction.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I read a couple of posts from people who used this method successfully. As far as I know, though, none of it was for hiking. As SilvrSurfr said, the weight won't be ideal for carrying.

I have been thinking about doing something like this for hanging at home, though. The advantage is that you can stuff anything between the layers and not worry about the weight pulling the insulation down to create gaps. I was thinking of woolen blankets. With down, you would need to be careful to get the distance between the hammocks right: not too far apart for the blanket to slip, not too close together for the down to be compressed enough to lose its insulation.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    I did just this recently as a test.

I used a DIY Hammock I have,
    Added Grosgain loops about 2' from each end to the sides of the hammock
    Attached these loops to triangle thingies
    Shoved a queen sized 9 inch high feather bed in the DIY hammock
    Hung my HH Safari above this
    Snugged the Lower Hammock up against the HH.

The feather gets pressed down a bit but it has so much loft I think I am still getting 4+ inches of loft. It's Queen size so I get a ton of wrap around my shoulders.

I have it hung in my attic, where it quite cold. Once it warms up from my body it is Amazingly nice and comfortable.

Down side is I would need a pack horse to carry this thing. It's super heavy, stuffs down to the size a VW Bug. So for inside my house, or in the backyard I think it will work fine, though if there is any chance of rain it's a no go. Other than my HH Hex fly, there is nothing protecting the Featherbed.

I have to mention I have used this Featherbed many times Camping. I put it on an air mattress with another Down Comforter on top of me, and sleep like I am back in the womb.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeb View Post

Would just sleep on the top hammock with the second one w/quilt set just below the top hammock?
    This is how I made an under quilt for my Brazilian. I hung the second Brazilian under the one I sleep in and have used various insulators... wool blankets, down comforter, and am using a down sleeping bag at the moment.
    All have worked, some too hot especially if I end up with a cat or two in the hammock during the night.

• + New Posts