Thread: Diy Hh

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12

Diy Hh

Ok so Im going to make a DIY HH based on the UL and the Adventure Racer. Its going to be 8'6" long by 4' wide Single layer 1.1 ripstop. I would like to have the bottom entry but I have never seen a HH in person, so if someone out there with a HH can you take some pictures of the entry and how it is sewn? I know someone is going to say that I sould just make a zipper entry but Im trying to make this this as light as possible so zippers are out of the picture. I also picked up some Sil so I can make a smaller tarp for summer use. Right now I have a 10' by 12' tarp which is overkill for FL summer camping.
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Mark 10:27

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Best of luck on the project.

I reckon youll be happier with a zipper. The weight gain is not dramaticly huge. I always take weights of my gear and convert them back to waters weight . (living in australia that a good idea) so say that a zipper will save you 150 grams. and make your hammock go from 750 grams down to 600. IMHO it looks neat on paper and when speaking about it but 150 is only 150 ml of water. whats that,? like one maybe two big gulps. for me it keep things in perspective. when it comes to my big 3 ( pack, sleeping bag, shelter,)
    Ide rather have them 150 grams heavier and better then save that 150 grams and loose ease of use, loss of heat, or loss of comfort etc.

Cheers Hitch
    Last edited by HitchHiking; 04-29-2009 at 20:37.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Here's one photo that might help. The end of the slit and the reinforcing of it.

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by HitchHiking View Post
    Best of luck on the project.

I reckon youll be happier with a zipper. The weight gain is not dramaticly huge. I always take weights of my gear and convert them back to waters weight . (living in australia that a good idea) so say that a zipper will save you 150 grams. and make your hammock go from 750 grams down to 600. IMHO it looks neat on paper and when speaking about it but 150 is only 150 ml of water. whats that,? like one maybe two big gulps. for me it keep things in perspective. when it comes to my big ( pack, sleeping bag, shelter,)
    Ide rather have them 150 grams heavier and better then save that 150 grams and loose ease of use, loss of heat, or loss of comfort etc.

Cheers Hitch
    I'd stick with the bottom entry for this hammock, the goal is weight reduction, not conveinience. It'll be interesting to see what this thing will weigh. Momentum 90 from thruhiker would likely be the best fabric. 7/64 Amsteel Blue for the ridgeline and end ropes. Redden Marine has this for 16cents/ft. Call and ask for standard USPS shipping and it will save you several bucks. I would use an extra long rope on the head end of the hammock and tie it into a large loop about 6ft long. I'd use a fisherman's knot to form this bight. Then tie figure-eight knots every six inches along this loop/bight, forming a "slap strap" of sorts. For the foot end I'd use an SMC descending ring and Tee Dee's carabiner hitch. Treklight hammock carabiners are the lightest out there.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Having done DIY BEEP on a hammock DO NOT use a zipper closure on it. A bug net zipper is a whole different ball game but a Bottom Entry/Exit Portal closure with a zipper is so impractical as to make it worthless. There is no easy way to maniulate the zipper once inside the hammock with it under load. It is fine for outside closure but not at all practical once you are inside.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts