Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prepping for an AT Thruhike, which top quilt to pick?!

Hello Hammock Forums!

I have been lurking on these forums for a while and have taken a bunch of tips and tricks from all over, but now I have a question fairly specific to my situation. My situation being that I plan to start a thruhike of the AT in mid March. Which of the many, many top quilts do I choose from?

My setup as of now is:
    HH Explorer Deluxe (Because I am 6'1")
    HH Hex Tarp
    JRB Greylock 4 UQ with 800 Active Dry
    DriDucks Poncho with UQ cover mod

I have spent several nights with this hammock setup plus a very heavy sleeping bag rated at 15 degrees. The worst I had to deal with was 28 degrees with 20-30mph winds and I was very comfortable (too warm at times).

I know I want a TQ of the down variety, but my dilemma is what to choose as far as temperature ratings and brands go. I love my Greylock 4 and have been watching the JRB Old Rag Mountain bag for a while, and I also like the looks of Underground Quilt's Flight Jacket TQ and I know there are other brands too. What temperature rating should I look for, and what brand works best for you all?

I would recommend either
    - getting 2 top quilts (say a 40 and a 20) and exchange along the trail when the seasons change
    OR
    - using your sleeping bag at the beginning & end and switching to a 40 top quilt for the middle
    OR
    - getting the light top quilt and figure out how to supplement that when it's colder and send that supplemental insulation home for the middle part of the trail.

In any case, if it were me, I would not want to carry the coldest rating for each end along the the middle of the trail through those warmer months. Switching off at planned points along the way will make life easier.

With the weather there is never a guarantee, but having lived in the area for over 70 yrs. I have learned that the weather you say you have hammocked in is about as bad as you will probably get starting out in mid March. As several others can testify, the south end of the AT occasionally gets some very un-southern weather. If I were starting out then I would likely use my 20 degree quilts and whatever else I might have handy, i.e. under quilt protector, wool socks, etc.. The first chance to ship back home will be at mile 31, and that's too soon to swap for warmer gear. I have the 20 degree flight jacket and I totally love it.

Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    I have been happy with my Wilderness Logics TQ and UQ. Both are rated to 15 degrees. I am 5' 9" and the regular is plenty long for me. It comes with a felt moisture protector which I think is a good bonus. I live in Central Alabama, so I have not been anywhere near 15 degrees. I was comfortable at 38 and 31. To my delight, the quilts are not too hot at temperatures up to 60. I take a down jacket and a sleeping bag liner as a back up, but I have not had to use them yet.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Sounds like a 15* bag worked for you already, so how about a 20* TQ with a little overstuff to give you the 15* rating? I love my 20* Hammockgear TQ. 24 oz with stock material (the new Argon and M50 are lighter).
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow, thanks for the tips and info. I'd to get one versatile quilt that I don't have to switch out part way through. I like the idea of one 20 degree bag, and layer if needed. I'll check out wilderness logics and hammock gear too. Thanks for all the input folks.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree with others on the 20* quilt. I'm partial to underground quilts, but regardless of vendor, I'd look at the water resistant/water proof down options for a through hike -- much more forgiving of inclement weather and moisture build-up than regular down.

Michael

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I converted 20 degree Marmot bag to a TQ.
    Worked great!!

Switched it out in PA for about a week,
    then wished I'd hadn't.
    Had to have home base send me back my TQ.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Prepping for an AT Thruhike, which top quilt to pick?!

If you only want to carry one quilt and you want to carry that same quilt end-to-end, then 20* is the right rating.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Get a 20degree Revelation w/ 10d in/out from Enlightened Equipment.

I have a 50 and a 30 from Tim, and wow are they great! The weight for the price is nice too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast