Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Short Notice Central PA hike/hang

June 20-22

Got me an ursack today and I need to go tempt some bears. Planning on a Friday night- Sunday hang and hike if anyone is interested in joining me. No place special planned att he moment so if there is someplace you've been hankering to see... let me know.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I would love to tag along. PA is a bit far for me to go for a two nighter, but this weather is soooooo good right now. Great time for a trip. I was hoping to find some Indiana hangers to go especially through this week. Have a great time. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Did I say tempt bears? silly me.... I wouldn't intentionally tempt bears.... But I do need to get out and give this thing a try.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-19-2008 at 01:13.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I'm thinking of doing the Old Loggers Path July 2-6. Yes I know it's only 27 miles, but I will have my sons with me and we are going to go slow and only as far as they want to go per day. I'm hoping we are near one of the lookouts on the 4th and we can see fireworks in the distance, that would be a show stopper for them.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563888596FQNANY

Those of you interested in my West Rim Trail scout take a look.

I finally got out on the trail this past weekend. I needed it so badly I had forgotten hod much. I spent Friday night at Bradley Wales vista on the West Rim trail. Talk about a hammock hangers paradise. That's a real monkey jungle. I was up early to see the 38 metric tons of cotton that gets gets dumped into the canyon every night. The fog completely obscures the view. After it lifts (and it lifts in a hurry) the view is spectacular.

I then got in the car and drove to the Ice Break Trail, a blue blaze access trail leading to the Ice Break Vista. Gorgeous. From there I traveled by foot to Little Slate Run campsite where I was alone for the next night. I got things set up about 3:00 p just in time for the first clap of thunder in what would be a marathon thunder storm of about 12 hours. It was fabulous. I loved it. Morning came and I crawled out of the hammock and lazed around in the campsite.

I finally got going again about 11:30 a and ate a very leisurely lunch at the Ice Break vista. Got out to the car and headed home.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    I'm thinking of doing the Old Loggers Path July 2-6. Yes I know it's only 27 miles, but I will have my sons with me and we are going to go slow and only as far as they want to go per day. I'm hoping we are near one of the lookouts on the 4th and we can see fireworks in the distance, that would be a show stopper for them.

Is this an invite for us slow pokes?

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Sure, come along. I have no problem with more people joining. Still trying to get an update on the water situation along the trail.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    Looks like a nice time. I may have to check the area out someday.
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Hey folks... "The Girl" and I are going to be playing in this monkey jungle this week. We'll be there tomorrow night and then One or both of us will be there this weekend. If you would like to come play I would welcome you. This is car camping plain and simple complete with a "luggable loo". Bring the kids. Give me a holler and I'll let you know how to get there. You can hang dozens of hammocks in this playground. Water is nearby as well as some trout fishing water right off the back of the site.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I met Iafte and his boys on Tuesday night at the Old Loggers Path trailhead in Masten. Given the signs saying we needed a permit to camp we decided to hike into the first campsite on the trail. Headlamps blazing/flickering depending on whose you looked at, we treked the less than half a mile arriving after dark at a clearing surrounded by trees . We played around tweaking equipment and putting finishing touches on the new systems in use. Settling in I reminded the weather forcasters they had said mid-60's not mid-50's. I spent a very chilly, but comfortable night.

Wednesday broke early for my chilly tush and I set about making breakfast. Looking around we were at the very campsite we had been headed for. We got packed up and left camp about 8:30 a. For _me_... that's when things started going bad. I had some equipment issues that kept me behind some, and did not get my proper medication trying to hurry. (note to self: Don't skip the meds... heheheh. They are easer to administer in camp than on the trail.)

I was chugging along as fast as I could and began to notice the tell tale suck/slurp/whoosh of a dry hydration bladder. My nalgene was empty and I did not know where the next water supply would be. They had told me they would hike for an hour and wait for me to catch up. The hour came and went and I had no idea how far behind I was. Stalled on an uphill climb I felt the unrepressable rumble in my gut that something was not right. Not to get too graphic but let's just say, shortly the trail side plants were decorated. And no water to wash my mouth out. So I kept plugging away.

Have you ever had one of those moments when you _know_ beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's going to be bad and there is nothing you can do about it? I felt my leg give out, drag and did the fanciest irish horn dance the trail has ever seen, only to end up like cordwood on my side in the ferns.

After assessing my injuries, limited to regret American Idol had not witnessed my stellar performance, I decided to wait for the forward group to give up on waiting for me and try to track me down. I relaxed on my pack and decided between the fall, the dizzyness and the urge to regurg I would be best off to cut my losses and go home. But I could not do that without getting word to Iafte that I had done so.

Shortly, I heard voices and called out to find Iafte and company approaching me from behind. HUH? They had missed a turn and I was actually in front of them. But they had replenished their water and so spared a liter for me. The told me where the water source was which they found because they had missed the turn. We took a long rest on the trail discussing options. It was determined that I needed to leave the trail as barfing and hiking do not make amiable companions. We were about 2 miles from the cars. Not bad as these things go.

They headed off up trail as I rested a bit more, shouldered my pack and headed for the water not half a mile away. Stoked up on water and feeling better, I stopped at the campsite from the night before and ate my lunch. All in all it took me about 4 hours to go two miles back to the car, but that was ok. I was in no hurry.

I got home in time for dinner last night. Today my legs know they were badly abused but they seem to be at least somewhat co-operative. I had a good time and it was good to meet Iafte and his sons. I trust they are still plugging along and will complete the trail with no further incidents.

As for me... Four years ago I could barely walk and believed my hiking days, nevermind backpacking days were over. I feel pretty good about getting four miles in over the course of two days. I have nothing to prove so I really don't care how fast the progress is. But I had the best two days in my recovery so far on the Old Loggers Path.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast