Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images

DIY Hammock for a Youngen'

I have a 7 year old daughter, and 2 year old twins, one of each. Yes pray for my sanity.

I would like to build a Hammock for my Daughter that would take her into her early teens.

I see 60"x120" as the sorta standard for the first DIY Hammock for adults.

Could it be as simple as cutting that in half? 30"x60",

I searched on google and here, but haven't found what I am looking for, so a new thread is born.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest w/ str. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Equinox Egret 8x10
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies
    60 by 120 is a good starting place. However, I would not recommend just cutting it in half. In particular, if you reduce the length to 5', you will have serious problems getting a good sag (not to mention the fact that your daughter will grow out of it! If you wanted to go the fractional route, try using the ratio of your daughter's (predicted) teenage height to yours instead of just dividing by 2.

Or, if you just wanted to eyeball it, keep these things in mind:

You're probably okay skimping on width a little if your daughter is small, but don't go too short or else you might need a separate footbox. Length is important for getting a good hang, so it wouldn't be bad to cut down a little there, but not too much! unless you have a reason to be going superlight, more material will make a more comfortable hammock!

Images
    I agree with the above, I made a shorter hammock for my kids, probably about 60inches, my kids are 3 and 19months.

Guess which hammock they prefer? Any one but the small one. I wouldn't skimp too much on the length, as all the kids are likely to jump in together anyway - well that is what mine do .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I am fixing to make a couple off these for my twin 7-year-olds. They both will jump in the hammock together, just try to stop them. One has had 3 nights in my Blackbird, the other 2. I was going to go full length on the hammocks with 3/4 under quilts as they fit on my Phoenix like it was an Incubater and love sleeping in the hammock. All 5 nights, no complaints, and they looked much brighter in the morning than I did after my first night in a hammock. As a matter of fact, the looked as well rested as always.

They are growing so fast and eating so much I don't think it would be worth it to go smaller, and they may not like the lie if I put them in a shorter hammock. I am thinking of going with 1.6 ripstop from DIY as that is what they recommend for little ones. I am going single layer and will be next constructing Apex insulated under quilts for them. I would have probably gone with double layer hammocks and pads for them, but I wouldn't want to go back to the pad after experiencing the cozy softness of an underquilt. I am certain they wouldn't be happy with a pad either.

Can anyone with little ones who are now big ones add their .02 on this topic? It always helps to get a little advise on ones theory prior to dropping the dollars.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

This might help ( see post number 3 ) : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=81300

Just go with the standard 60x120 it'll work fine as long as you need it to also you could always knot the hammock at a point closer to the length you want and then find the best length plus you can change it as she grows as well

Bigfanboy, you and I are members of the same club! I have a 6 year old and 2, 3 year olds.

I consider myself a cat herder.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here's a youth sized, hot pink DangerBird we recently built for a 5yr old hanger.
    It's 9ft long x 48" wide with a 90" ridgeline. This should easily take this young lady into her teens.
    Shown here with her awesome new UGQ underquilt.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    PapaSmurf, That is one fine looking Dangerbird! I'm sure she will love it!
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    PapaSmurf, That is one fine looking Dangerbird! I'm sure she will love it!
    Yep, we got a "thumbs up"
    Here's a photo of it flying proudly over Dad's ThunderBird.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast