synthetic construction

As a recent hammock convertee with a pathetic one night experience of hammock sleeping ( by the way my ground sleeping experience is only 3 nights in a tent , In the last 20 years anyway)

Anyway long story involving scottish loch's , canoes , camping ( being uncomfortable ) so once we returned home bought DD travel hammocks tried them out in Kielder with a roll mat stuffing in between , warmish but cold spots , put off by prices of underquilts so decided to make one

So , I took a lightweight synthetic single duvet made a pattern and basically lined the duvet with the edges cut off so its rugby ball shaped with camo goretex type fabric on the outside , ripstop nylon on the inside , the duvet had 5 baffles running down the longest length which by the time i trimmed to give the rugby ball shape left 3 full length plus a couple of smaller ones at the edges , opened up the 3 baffles and stuffed the contents of an old down pillow inside and restiched

It was really easy to make, unfortunately i didnt take any pictures during the build but will try and post a completed picture. I have yet to try it out so it could have been a complete waste of time but i have the bug and am ready to try V2 ( plus its a little narrow for me so my mate , who is a bit narrower than me has scored for a new underquilt.

I have not weighed it yet but i guess its just over a kilo , while i am sure the insulation is nowhere near as good as "proper" down or fibre insulation but it was cheap

So onto the actual purpose of this post , has anyone tried using a fleece material instead of down , I am thinking its a lot thinner and doesnt seam to compress that much in comparision to down or fibre, I could use more than 1 layer too without the bulk to increase the insulation

If anyone had good things to say about fleece i was thinking of stiching it directly to the hammock or making a new fleece lined hammock.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    There's probably not a great deal of difference between the synthetic insulation in your cheap duvet and that in a lot of low-end sleeping bags, so I wouldn't worry on that account.

About fleece- it's pretty thin, and not very compressible, so you might find it bulky and heavy to carry.
    Or did you mean 'pile' aka fake fur? Same drawbacks, but it is quite a bit thicker, at least.

What temperatures are you dealing with? Car camping or backpacking?

• + New Posts