Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex

Winter Hammock Bivi

Hi all
    Winter time, so I thought to hell with it.
    Made a bivi for my favourite hammock.
    My great inspiration was Lost_Biker with his Gore-Tex Super Winter Sock.
    It has assymetrical design so it should fit perfectly WBBB Blackbird type hammock, though I use my own design.
    It looks like a little boat and still needs some work with tension, but let's say it's a work in progress.
    For fabric I used something cheap breathing waterproof fabric from local factory. Bivi weighs about 1,2 kg though I haven't weighted it yet. Going to do a two-night test, so, on Sunday i'll be back to tell if I survived.

It came a little bit too tight underneath but it's tolerable. Though it means if I'm to use UQ it should be placed under bivi...
    Fortunately I don't have any winter qualifying UQ-s and my hammock has a pocket for sleeping pad.
    Here are the pictures:

And the measurements:

Just saying, if You are about to make Your own by there measurements, I advise to act by your hammock measurements.
    My hammock's body is 3,3 meters long and ridgeline is 2,9 meters. Based on these measurements I cut out Bivi with a little extra, though it seems the hanging fabric should have been done with more extra length.

Hope You'll Enjoy, I will

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It looks nice, Metavo. You might make it big enough to use the underquilt inside by cutting it along the very bottom and sewing in an oval piece with pointed ends (shaped like an American football).

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Bullfrog/Tadpol
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Looks really nice Metavo. Can't wait to hear how it performed. Are you worried about condensation at all?

Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    Well....Two nights in a middle of nowhere. There were big condensatsion issues, first night it was about -2 Celsius (28.4 Fahrenheit) and another was about -6 Celsius (21.2 Fahrenheit).
    Had to sleep with open zipper and hoped it would ice up before it dripped to my face, but it didn't, so in last hope I zipped mosquito net which took the main hit. Fortunately used synthetic sleeping bag so it works even when wet. Basically everything that was outside of hammock and inside the bivi, was wet!
    But I really like the design of it. Thinking of making another one, this time i'm going to use silnylon on top and breathable canvas, possibly polyester on bottom. That way it's going to be 4 times lighter and breathable enough. I hope.
    Also, thinking of giving it little bit bigger eaves.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    looks good but the condensation issues has to be tough to deal with. I would imagine some breathable nylon would help along with a frost bib for yourself.. I am always impressed with the diy people here..good job
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Images
    Thank you for the excellent test and results. Everyone learns when you share your finding.

Venting is the trick to reducing or eliminating condensation with winter hammock sock.
    When you vent there will be some heat lost but you still have excellent protection from wind, blowing snow and mist.

If I had the skill to build my own winter sock it would be 60% DWR on the bottom to protect the UQ from splshing rain and ripstop on the top. The ends where the hammock whoopies come out would have long velcro slits so I could adjust the size for venting.
    I'd have a `U` shaped door with enough zipper pulls to open the top of both ends for venting and still be able to open and close the door to get in/out.

The over all size would be large enough for my heaviest quilts but I would have full length channels running down both sides using thin shockcord to bring the sock right up to the UQ reducing material flapping in the wind.

Anyway, that would be the perfect 3 season sock for me.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-08-2013 at 11:19.

Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    WV, thanks, probably will do something with it but I quite like triangluar forms this design produces.
    OutandBack, probably will add some vents to ends. Probably will use no-see-um which is partly covered with something else.
    Also, new one will probably be with DWR nylon bottom. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly but full length channels are probably good idea, thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Great project. I have been thinking about a DIY undercover and this gives me some great ideas.

Looks good.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Good looking project!

IMO, you've run up against the same problem that tentmakers have:
    The smaller the tent, the tougher it is to control condensation.

Lots of good suggestions above for venting and different materials.
    Most of your condensation is probably from your exhaled breath, but the part that is from sweat (and your body is giving off moisture even when you don't feel 'hot and sweaty) can be controlled with vapor barrier clothing while you sleep.
    Though vapor barriers take some 'getting used to', they work better the colder the temperatures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast