Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images

Grosgrain Tarp Ridgeline...

How do you incorporate grosgrain into the ridgeline of a DIY tarp? Do you still use a flat-felled/french seam?

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Not necessarily. When I've done it, I just sew the two tarp halves together, then roll a hem about 3/8" wide. Lastly I attach the grosgrain evenly across the hem. Doing it this way allows you to keep the entire tarp to the left of the presser foot. (With a flat-felled seam half the tarp has to go under the arm of the machine.) I make loops in the grosgrain at each end for the ridge line attachment. I quit using d-rings after the first tarp, and just use the loops. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Not necessarily. When I've done it, I just sew the two tarp halves together, then roll a hem about 3/8" wide. Lastly I attach the grosgrain evenly across the hem. Doing it this way allows you to keep the entire tarp to the left of the presser foot. (With a flat-felled seam half the tarp has to go under the arm of the machine.) I make loops in the grosgrain at each end for the ridge line attachment. I quit using d-rings after the first tarp, and just use the loops. Hope this helps.
    Are you suggesting something like the bottom half of the figure?

(I think there may be an extra stich there in 3b I could exclude.)

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil440 View Post
    Are you suggesting something like the bottom half of the figure?

(I think there may be an extra stich there in 3b I could exclude.)

listening go on.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I do a simple 1/4" seam (like step 1) then simply bind over it with grosgrain. When you do a grosgrain seam you're not trying to make a flat seam.

I don't see any benefit in doing anything more complicated, and so far my tarp has held up very well, including being set up outside for months through KY storms.

Here's my build thread.

I would stop at step 2 above.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Just out of interest, why are you wanting to use Grosgrain on the ridge line at all? A flat-felled seam is just as easy and any you show above and you aren't adding additional weight.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I have been using grosgrain with the few tarps that I have made. I stopped at your step 2 and it has not leaked and did not need seam sealing. I ironed the grosgrain in half and clipped it with hair clips along the whole of the ridgeline. Then I just sewed whole thing, the doubled over the grosgrain for the end loops.

I am really new to tarp making, but with my skill level, it seemed easier (no pun) than doing a ff/fs hybrid w/o grosgrain. I did practice runs on long skinny scrap pieces to see which one was easier. The best thing is: It covers up my less than perfect seams to a certain extent.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    I have been using grosgrain with the few tarps that I have made. I stopped at your step 2 and it has not leaked and did not need seam sealing. I ironed the grosgrain in half and clipped it with hair clips along the whole of the ridgeline. Then I just sewed whole thing, the doubled over the grosgrain for the end loops.

I am really new to tarp making, but with my skill level, it seemed easier (no pun) than doing a ff/fs hybrid w/o grosgrain. I did practice runs on long skinny scrap pieces to see which one was easier. The best thing is: It covers up my less than perfect seams to a certain extent.
    +1. I recently made my winter tarp and found the grosgrain much easier to work with and requires no seam sealing. I've had it out in very heavy winds and heavy rain with no problems at all. I did the same thing, iron the grosgrain and clipped it and sewed it on. Super easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I'm not a big fan of using grosgrain on a tarps.

IMO, putting grosgrain on a tarp instead of making flat-felled seams & rolled hems is weaker and really doesn't look as good.
    With a grosgrain ridge line seam, the 'outward and downward forces' from the tie-downs are concentrated on pulling the stitching apart. With a flat-felled seam, the stitching is much more in a 'shear' situation. (I need an engineer to step in here.... )

Anyway, it doesn't really matter much, since grosgrain top seams are apparently strong enough for the purpose most folks put them to. For me, it's mostly appearance and the idea of craftsmanship that are the differences.

I sew for fun and relaxation, so I don't mind the extra work of flat-felling seams.
    (I'd have a different idea if I were doing it for money, I suppose, but I still judge products by the shortcuts used. )
    These aren't circus tents, and I don't have any trouble rolling up half the tarp and putting through my machine (to the right of the needle). This could be an issue if you are using one of the newer 'compact' machines with a narrow throat.

Have you ever seen a quality tent fly with grosgrain on the ridge seam?

The other drawback of grosgrain on the ridge seam is that you limit your possibilities for extra attachments (loops) along the tarp ridge - which can be useful if you need to pitch a large tarp between close-spaced trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast