Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images

Can't wind a bobbin

Not sure if it is something that I've done, but I ran out a bobbin this morning so I went to wind a new one. The inner wheel that I'm supposed to loosen will not budge. I've oiled it religiously since I got this machine a little while ago, and re-oiled, thinking that might be the problem, but it still won't budge. I just wound a bobbin the other day and it worked fine then. Any suggestions?
    Debi

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    This will sound obvious, but did you turn it the correct way?

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    My old singer does that from time to time. I'm not sure what causes it but I just had to apply a little extra elbow grease and it lets go of it's grip. I thought it might be needle position for a while but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    ..apply a little extra elbow grease and it lets go of it's grip...
    This or maybe a small strap wrench. Until you get it loose, you can go ahead and wind the bobbin with the needle still engaged. I would unthread the needle.

You may want to remove the clutch knob and lightly grease the clutch washer to help prevent this. Note the position of the clutch washer before you remove it and put it back in the same position (without having rotated the handwheel while it's off).

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Good to know.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    where would I find the clutch washer? You said grease, not sewing machine oil? What kind of grease would be best to use?
    Debi

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    I've oiled it religiously since I got this machine a little while ago, and re-oiled, thinking that might be the problem, but it still won't budge.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You may want to remove the clutch knob and lightly grease the clutch washer to help prevent this.
    Strap wrenches are the tools to use for releasing the stuck clutch knob. You may have a 'jar-opener' in the kitchen that will help, or perhaps the rubber strap wrenches from the automotive toolbox?

Generally, I try to keep oil away from the clutch mechanism. For me, oil reduces the friction and tends to make the machine slip when stitching, and then I tighten the clutch knob even more than necessary. If it were my machine, I'd clean all the oil from the clutch surfaces - get them nice and 'dry'.
    Then, as gmcttr says (I'm not sure I'm quoting accurately) put a very light film of grease on the surface of the washer that touches the clutch knob. The idea is to make the (dry) side of the clutch washer 'grab' the drive wheel securely, but (lube to) allow the knob to be unscrewed with less force.

And as gmcttr said, just pull the thread from the needle and wind the bobbin without releasing the clutch. Some industrial machines have a bobbin winder that just winds as you sew, so there's always one ready. You can do the same on a home machine, depending on how the winder works, where the spool spindle is located, etc..
    Though only larger projects seem to use more than one bobbin's worth of thread, for me....

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    where would I find the clutch washer? You said grease, not sewing machine oil? What kind of grease would be best to use?
    Debi-
    I forget what machine you are using...somebody here could probably find an 'exploded diagram' of your machine to make it clear.

BTW, you will probably have to loosen a small machine screw to completely remove the clutch knob. As has been said, keep track of the parts (in order) and try not to let the drive mechanism rotate - it will avoid a bit of 'fiddling' to get things adjusted when you re-assemble, but it's not a huge problem in any case. 'Get to know your machine' ....

Grease choice: not critical- general purpose auto grease, bike grease, or Vaseline will work fine. Just a thin film is needed - ie put a bit on your fingertip and give the face of the clutch knob a wipe. The idea behind using grease is to prevent the lubricant from 'travelling' to the clutch surfaces and making the machine slip - that's my understanding, anyway. Oil tends to 'migrate' all over, which is not necessarily a good thing around clutches, which depend on friction to work.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    VistoriaGuy's advice sounds better than mine. As I recall, her machine is a Kenmore badged 15 clone.

Debi, what I called the clutch knob probably should have been called the "Stop Motion Knob" and it is labeled that way on page 5 of the manual I previously sent. It's your stuck "inner wheel".

To remove it once you get it loose, loosen the stop screw in the face of the stop motion knob and the SM Knob will unscrew revealing the clutch washer behind it.

I just emailed you the 15-91 Adjusters Manual that calls these parts the clamp screw and clamp washer.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    BA Lost Ranger
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    My machine won't engage the bobbin threader so I have to do it with a power drill. Haha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast