Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Hyperlight w/ring buckles
    Tarp
    MLD cuben fiber
    Insulation
    ZPack, JRB quilts
    I use the ring buckle setup, so on the hammock I unhook one end and roll it up tightly while keeping tension on the other end. I also fold my tarp using the same method.

I find that this seems to take up a little less space in my pack.

Agree on not stuffing any type of insulation (synthetic or down)
    I believe the Warmlite website talks about the importance of not stuff-packing down.
    I think roll and stuff is the quickest for hammocks(Depends on how you deploy your hammock). Snake skins on a tarp are pure glory. Your basically stuffing on a stationary line. It's just waiting to be stuffed while up. Seems like rolling would be best for preventing any creases, but not worth it or necessary.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
    I believe the Warmlite website talks about the importance of not stuff-packing down.
    Curious, describe your technique for carrying a synthetic or down bag? How do you get it in your pack without stuffing (even after it is rolled)?
    Load it first loose, and then load gear on top of it?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I believe the Warmlite website talks about the importance of not stuff-packing down...............
    Interesting. I checked the Warmlite site and here is what they write (I believe it is probably okay to quote with attribution): Warmlite site says:

Life of insulation. If you lie on the insulation in your sleeping bag or parka, and then move sideways to turn over, you put shearing force on the insulation. That tears synthetic insulations, and rolls Down into pieces of “string” from which it will never recover. Stuffing your bag or parka does the same thing, plus puts excessive loads on seams. Prior to 1966 we had people bring 2 to 3 year old bags in to restore loft, and we found the lost loft was entirely due to “strings” of Down caused by lying on it. Since 1966 our bags with pads IN them have never had that problem. If you are using a bag loose on a separate pad, put some straps on the bag bottom to hold it securely to the pad, and shift as much of the Down out to sides and top as you can so you won’t lie on it. To pack a bag, always carefully fold and roll it. Uniform end compression of the roll to fit in a sack won’t harm it. Don’t stuff anything you don’t want to rapidly destroy!
    I added the emphasis.

I believe that they have far more experience and expertise than I do. I think I'll follow their advice.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I roll my tent because it's already on the ground but I stuff my hammock because it's not. (It would also be beneath the dignity of my hammock to touch the ground) It's kinda like the flag...it's just not proper.

Miguel

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I have done all 3 over the years. It is odd, most people who say to stuff use the rationale that they are trying to avoid stressing the fabric at the same place all the time, however in my exerience when I take out a tarp or tent that has folded i do not see any creases on the fabric but I see many of them when I take out a stuffed tarp/tent.

I believe (very well could be wrong) that stuffing the tarp actually puts more stress on the fabric albeit not necessarily in the same place everytime. But those creases seem to be more of a stress on the fabric than a fold. Plus the sheer number of them will certainly cause overlap to happen on a consistent basis.

Now, I only stuff the tarp when time is of the essesence in packing up. It is much faster to set up a tent/tarp from one that was folded/rolled. weather conditions also play a role (no pun intended).

My hammock gets rolled while still in the air. I unattach one strap and start rolling/folding it until I get to the other end and then I loosen that strap and wrap it around the bundle.

Or I am full of it, and someone should tell me to "stuff it"!

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Curious, describe your technique for carrying a synthetic or down bag? How do you get it in your pack without stuffing (even after it is rolled)?
    Load it first loose, and then load gear on top of it?
    I fold and carefully roll my sleeping bag tightly(removing air). I like to put the rolled sleeping bag into a stuff sack that is slightly roomy. Once the stuff sack is closed, I feel like the only real forces on the insulation would be compression. I personally prefer a looser stuff sack for about everything. Tight stuff sacks don't seem as flexible and forming for packing purposes.

Has anyone ever seen tests or results for folded vs stuffed affects on damage?

Here's a thought on stuffing possibly causing more damage:
    A fold usually folds more than one layer of fabric at the same line.
    Stuffing: all mini-folds within the stuffed fabric are single layers of fabric which could crease easier

Maybe one method would be better depending on how you pack/compress it:
    loose packing: stuff better (ie. in front of pack)
    tight packing: roll or fold (able to resist creases better under compression)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I personally prefer a looser stuff sack for about everything. Tight stuff sacks don't seem as flexible and forming for packing purposes.
    agree with that 100%!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Campmor 8 by 8
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    I start out by folding most then I roll the rest. I works very well but sometimes it is hard to fold, (depending on the location)

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    I casually fold, then roll it, as I take it down, and then stuff it in the packs outter pocket.... Ever ready to deploy at a moments notice... no extra weight of snake skins or bags (attached or separate).

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast