WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

LeighLo 15* UQ temperature limit hang

As a cold sleeper, I'm pleased with my 15* LeighLo UQ taking me to below 20*.

While looking at the temps through the night, I could feel some coolness underneath below 20. I curled into the pre-natal position and put a double layer fleece mitten under my hip, to get back to sleep. Woke up and got up at 6:30 to 18*, at sunrise it was 17.

In order to test the quilt, worn clothing was lighter than if I was backpacking. It was a short sleeve polyester T shirt, long sleeve microfleece zip T, stretch polar fleece pants, balaclava, AHE down booties, and the heavy mittens, with no wind shirt or pants, no down jacket, no snacks in the night to help stay warm. Top insulation was two quilts, a 32* and a 40*, neither one underneath my upper torso so the UQ was the only insulation there.

I try to not backpack into nights that are below 25* so this UQ plus a one ounce windshield reflector will be all that I carry for insulation below my hammock this winter.

I started the night with a 30* LeighLo UQ stacked on the 15* LL UQ but could see that loft would be no challenge to those temperatures, so I removed it the next time that I was up. HangNout's UTube demonstration of the double stacked quilts was good marketing to cold sleepers.

Since LeighLo is no longer making quilts, this was posted here as cold weather camping info instead of in the manufacturers forum as a product review.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks for your review. We have a review forum here so the next time you see this post it will be in the reviews forum.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

clothes

Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    ...In order to test the quilt, worn clothing was lighter than if I was backpacking. It was a short sleeve polyester T shirt, long sleeve microfleece zip T, stretch polar fleece pants, balaclava, AHE down booties, and the heavy mittens, with no wind shirt or pants, no down jacket, no snacks in the night to help stay warm. Top insulation was two quilts, a 32* and a 40*, neither one underneath my upper torso so the UQ was the only insulation there...
    Yikes, the clothing you're talking about being "lighter" than in the field is about what I would expect you wear while insulated in the hammock. Keep in mind that the only way down keeps you warm is with your own heat, so you want to keep clothing minimal to be effectively efficient with heat transfer to the down.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yikes, the clothing you're talking about being "lighter" than in the field is about what I would expect you wear while insulated in the hammock. Keep in mind that the only way down keeps you warm is with your own heat, so you want to keep clothing minimal to be effectively efficient with heat transfer to the down.
    I still have a hard time accepting that, but I know it works. It is just so weird and against what I have thought for such a long time, lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts