Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    Dream Darien 1.0 single layer
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole Dutched
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    241

    The compassion of the down

    I just thought I'd ask this question here before I wasted a bunch of work time researching the topic. How is down harvested? From what birds? Are they in captivity? Are they bred strictly for their down feathers? Is there any controversy with the process such as hazardous chemical use, animal mistreatment, etc?
    My eco, green, veegan, hippy friends started spouting off these questions when I was bragging about my wicked cool down insulated gear?
    Pretty much, is it a sustainable practice?
    Thanks.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 2eez4life View Post
    I just thought I'd ask this question here before I wasted a bunch of work time researching the topic. How is down harvested? From what birds? Are they in captivity? Are they bred strictly for their down feathers? Is there any controversy with the process such as hazardous chemical use, animal mistreatment, etc?
    My eco, green, veegan, hippy friends started spouting off these questions when I was bragging about my wicked cool down insulated gear?
    Pretty much, is it a sustainable practice?
    Thanks.
    Sustainable? Mankind has been harvesting down for centuries and yet we have not run out. Seems pretty sustainable to me.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 12-09-2013 at 11:20.

  3. #3
    grannypat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the woods outside of Westminster, SC
    Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Posts
    2,999
    One of my friends sent me a picture of a plucked duck to shame me about my down use. I unapologetically wear leather, eat meat, sleep in down and probably lots of other things that have the potential to offend someone.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

  4. #4
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    Dream Darien 1.0 single layer
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole Dutched
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Sustainable? Mankind has been harvesting down for centuries and yet we have not run out. Seems pretty sustainable to me.
    Yeah, I agree. I wonder if the infamous Club of Rome book "limits to growth" set prediction rate for when we run out of Down feathered birds. It is kind of funny to look back on their predictions for peak oil and other resource shortages like aluminum and stuff.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,736
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Sustainable? Mankind has been harvesting down for centuries and yet we have not run out. Seems pretty sustainable to me.
    I believe 2eez4life is asking if it is sustainable without destroying the environment--not whether we will run out of birds.

    I don't know about that, but I believe most down is a by-product of the food industry.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    Dream Darien 1.0 single layer
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole Dutched
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    One of my friends sent me a picture of a plucked duck to shame me about my down use. I unapologetically wear leather, eat meat, sleep in down and probably lots of other things that have the potential to offend someone.
    I do too, however I think sometimes there should be considerations about such products such as how/where it was produced and the ethics involved with that. Case on point being Dolphin safe Tuna.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

  7. #7
    Senior Member 2eez4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hammock
    Dream Darien 1.0 single layer
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole Dutched
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I believe 2eez4life is asking if it is sustainable without destroying the environment--not whether we will run out of birds.

    I don't know about that, but I believe most down is a by-product of the food industry.
    Cool, that is good to know. I definitely support the concept of trying to make use of every part of the animal, like the Native Americans did. If we are eating duck, and being insulated by its down feathers that duck is providing warmth in two very different ways!
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

  8. #8
    Alamosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    Posts
    1,044
    There are certainly a number of animal rights groups that have objections to the down collection process (at least some methodologies). I think those can be found easily enough with a Google search.

    This is certainly a topic that has a high likely hood of becoming a political/emotional hot button, so I hope it does not go too far as a hammock forum discussion.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Posts
    1,179
    I work for a animal live haul and processor. If most people were really aware of how there meat got to the table they would seriously question being vegetarian!

  10. #10
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WB Traveler or Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB BMJ or Superfly
    Insulation
    0, 20 or 40 HG
    Suspension
    Detention
    Posts
    5,213
    Images
    20
    Yeah it just seems to be a lot of gray area. Where do you draw the line? How many earth worms are killed when a home builder digs a hole for a basement? Yes, that is absolutely rediculous to me, but only as rediculous as killing a deer to someone else, or plucking feathers to another.

    I like to think it's done humanely as possible.

Similar Threads

  1. 3. Danish HF Compassion Dog Hang ;-)
    By Bomber in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 07:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •