Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Good for you for getting outside, Frenchy, and braving the cold. That's how to DO IT!
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Images
    Frenchy, I finally watched this, great report!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchycamp View Post
    No, was nice and toasty, woke up at three to do my thang, and was overall a little cold, so added a very light fleece sweater and some insulated pants. Actually more cold on top than bottom. Feet got cold around 6:30am
    I was getting ready to throw out a couple of ideas and questions from where you said something like: "I don't know about this UQ at zero". But like you said, that was probably more of a "just woke up" deal having an effect on your report.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchycamp View Post
    I know, when I watched the video I thought to myself: it looks like I'm having a miserable time. Definitely wasn't the case. Yeah I got a little chilly here and there, but I was really happy with the results. Mainly that I spent the whole night in 15º without any issues. This was a test for my upcoming backpacking trips, so I didn't bring anything I wouldn't have packed (extra blankets, extra clothing, etc...)
    The 0º phoenix performed really well, as I realized later that any cold I was feeling wasn't due to the UQ. If anything I was colder on top, makes sense as I was using a 20º TQ.
    I'll blame my non-enthusiasm on me not being an early morning person!!!
    Thanks for the positive feedback.
    20* TQ, exactly! Plus, TQs or UQs are no strangers to various draft problems, and you only reach their ratings if all of that is dealt with perfectly. And you were below that rating, but still did OK on a first try! Not too shabby! And lot's of folks struggle with cold feet, even with full length UQs sometimes. Maybe you need a thicker CCF foot/leg pad? Looser/dry sleep socks, or some say even no socks? And of course, VB socks can do wonders. More bang for the buck than anything I know of:
    http://warmlite.com/warmlite-vapor-barrier-clothing
    Caution: a solid understanding of VB theory is required before attempting to use these, or you will get opposite results from what you were hoping!

But, good job!

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Frenchy, I finally watched this, great report!

20* TQ, exactly! Plus, TQs or UQs are no strangers to various draft problems, and you only reach their ratings if all of that is dealt with perfectly. And you were below that rating, but still did OK on a first try! Not too shabby! And lot's of folks struggle with cold feet, even with full length UQs sometimes. Maybe you need a thicker CCF foot/leg pad? Looser/dry sleep socks, or some say even no socks? And of course, VB socks can do wonders. More bang for the buck than anything I know of:
    http://warmlite.com/warmlite-vapor-barrier-clothing
    Caution: a solid understanding of VB theory is required before attempting to use these, or you will get opposite results from what you were hoping!

But, good job!

Thanks. I thought I tried my lightest smallest set up first, which is what this whole test hang was about, and go from there if I have to absolutely add weight for warmth comfort. Haven't messed with VB stuff yet as I don't know much about it, but might look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ===> Nice trip report, frenchie ! You did the right things there! A lower rated TQ should make the cold issues go away, and light layering is the way to go! Looks hung pretty well, too! By not using the pullouts, there is less cold air surround you to be warmed by your body and gear. Good call! Steep pitch for potential snowfall - good call!

Keep on hanging! The whole year opens up with winter hanging!

Best -

~ SkyPainter
    Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleman View Post
    Good for you! You are doing your dang and having fun, that's what it's all about. I must say 15 degrees is a little cool, but I guess if you have the right gear it makes a difference. Living in Florida I couldn't justify all that cold gear stuff. Mosquito netting now that's a different story . Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I hear you, dealing with cold here, but no need for bugnet even in the summer I hope

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Nice test! Congrats on a successful hang. I loved the groggy morning monologue. What did you film with? Some kind of strap holding a phone on the ridge line? I'd love to see that setup too

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougalcorn View Post
    Nice test! Congrats on a successful hang. I loved the groggy morning monologue. What did you film with? Some kind of strap holding a phone on the ridge line? I'd love to see that setup too
    Groggy is right! Just a sony cyber-shot I was holding in my hand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123