Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what tarp for a traveler?

I'm new to hanging and I have slept in my traveler about 3 times using a cheap walmart tarp. I'm wanting to buy a quality tarp but there is so many choices. I will be a fair weather hanger summertime mostly and a few in the fall. Thanks for any help in advance.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    This is The One: http://wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-Tad-Pole.htm. Get it with the side panel pulls.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    When using my traveler I like a tarp RL of 10'10'' RL any longer I find it gets in the way of the hammock suspension. The width IMHO is a HYOY type of thing and coverage will depend on the amount of coverage you want. Their is HG but they sell Cuben, JRB sells sil tarps, AHE, Wilderness Logic, Um so man more just check the vendors section. Hope this helped good luck on ur search.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Is weight a consideration for you?

In terms of Warbonnet, the Edge provides enough coverage if you want to keep gear weight down. If it's not a concern, having doors like on the Superfly is good for 360 degree weather protection. If car camping or camping in large groups, the doors are also good to provide privacy.

Al the vendors here make quality gear so don't fret too much about choosing a specific one. It may boil down to how fast you can get it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Weight is not a huge concern any quality tarp will be a massive upgrade from what I'm using. I just want to make sure I have enough coverage.

For the money, i like the Super Fly from Warbonnet.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I like the AHE Shangri La tarp for summer trips. The longer head end makes it easier for me to get in and out if I have to change the setup because of a change in the weather.

"I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Any of the Warbonnet tarps will be a good fit. Personally, I love the Mamajamba: it's surprisingly light for a silnylon tarp this size and coverage, and I have yet to seam-seal a WB tarp. I hear some people had to seam-seal the pull-outs, but I haven't had any problems so far. The ridge doesn't need any sealing by design.

I think, the only way to go lighter with similar coverage would be to go Cuben. At least that was my conclusion when I compared silnylon tarps of different manufacturers the last time.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Is weight a consideration for you?

In terms of Warbonnet, the Edge provides enough coverage if you want to keep gear weight down. If it's not a concern, having doors like on the Superfly is good for 360 degree weather protection. If car camping or camping in large groups, the doors are also good to provide privacy.

Al the vendors here make quality gear so don't fret too much about choosing a specific one. It may boil down to how fast you can get it.
    An excellent point that hadn't occurred to me when I bought my Superfly; I've taken it car camping in close proximity to other campers and appreciated the illusion of seclusion.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I like the AHE Shangri La tarp for summer trips. The longer head end makes it easier for me to get in and out if I have to change the setup because of a change in the weather.
    I bought the Shangri La and a Toxaway and found both to work well...Shangri La for minimalist trips and Toxaway for more coverage. Ended up just using the Toxaway all the time anyway so our son got the Shangri La. Been thinking about doors for all the obvious reasons and so the WL Bullfrog has been calling.

All in all for minimalist where privacy and more storm/cold coverage is not an issue, I'd take the Shangri La. It covers very well against rain and allows for a good front porch set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast